Making a living

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Le Pilote

Hello. New member here. A question for the membership if you don't mind.

I recently have been debating looking for new work due to the low wages at my current company. Even with the low wage, we do have good benefits, and seem to be a solid company for the near future. I hate to think about giving up the retirement, medical/dental, and other benefits, but my question: Can a living be made on the low pay for the future? It will go up, but not into the six-digit salaries we all expected. I am planning to get married in the next couple years, and I'm sure children will soon follow behind. Can a new family be supported on $60,000-80,000 a year? It makes me nervous and anxious to think of a life living from paycheck to paycheck, or having trouble paying the bills.

Maybe some side-work is in order? I'd like to spend my off time with friends and family, and not behind a desk. But I also want to provide. Do you make it work? Particularly, have you made it work though furloughs or wage reductions?

I appreciate your time and thoughts on the subject.

Le Pilote

MTpilot said:
Sorry but are you calling 60 - 80k low pay?

That's what I'm asking. I never knew what my parents made in their careers. I never asked, and they never said so. So I have nothing to base an opinion on.

I do think $30,000 a year is fairly low pay in the current world. That's close to my current pay.

Le Pilote

Le Pilote said:
I do think $30,000 a year is fairly low pay in the current world.

I'd say so.

Don't have kids............................................and make sure your future wife has a decent job.

Art V.

$60K-$80K is over double the average household income in the US. Most people live on less than that, so you should be able to live on it. Might be living in a 1500 sq ft house, only having one new car, having to watch a budget to stay out of trouble.

pilotyip said:
$60K-$80K is over double the average household income in the US. Most people live on less than that, so you should be able to live on it. Might be living in a 1500 sq ft house, only having one new car, having to watch a budget to stay out of trouble.

yeah maybe in the ghetto burbs of detriot is 30K the average household income.

No, you cant F'n live off 28K/yr but leave it up to dumba$$ pilots to keep trying....

read a bit here - read about the guys living with mom, packing frozen sandwiches (?) to get thorough the week, stocking thier flight bags from dirtbag hotel breakfast buffetts.....etc...

its really priceless..

30K/yr -- F&*K you. Lets wake up folks. Dont ever expect this as normal -- its far from. For christ sakes, you have to SAVE half that simply to retire comfortably these days...

:rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Not all that bad for real people

Long time no hear, how the Fxx are you? Not everyone is as fortunate as you are G200. There is an element of luck involved in your success that has more to do with it than your skill and desire. I know too many people who make in the $60-$80 range who are getting by just fine. And if your luck should run out, you may find $60-$80 ain't all that bad. BTW he was not asking about living on 30K, he was asking if anyone could get by on $60-$80K. He also did not say where he was going to live, if is in North Carolina, he will live like a king.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Not everyone is as fortunute as you G200. There is an element of luck in volved in your success that has more to do with it than your skill and desire.
Yep. It's called a college degree.

:p

Latest resources

Back