Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Majors vs Fractionals, where would you go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CALRepublic

I got a friend, he's got interviews at Northwest and NetJets(where I work). He says NJ sounds like the better deal, but isn't sure if corporate flying is for him. He doesn't know which way to go if both interviews go well.

your opinion

As far as current day situations? Fracs have the stability (relatively), payscales, and employees are treated well by the company. The frac industry is growing by leaps and bounds whereas the airlines are consolidating, reducing pay, employees are beaten and morale is low. I think the potential for the airlines is better depending on where you fit in seniority-wise. Someday at an airline of choice you could have 18-20 days off per month flying day trips, or whatever type of schedule you want, but in fractionals youll be chained to the 7/7 sched forever (with few exceptions like the NJA 18 day/15 day scheds). If someone is hired at a major airline and is under the age of about 30-35 then they are in running for a good airline career, if they are willing to take a gamble/furlough at some point.

I think this is a tough question to answer and I am trying to figure it all out for myself as well. Good luck to your friend whatever they decide.

Not a single one of the passenger airlines has a business model that can successfully absorb oil at $100 per barrel over the long term.

The customers who purchase fractions are willing to pay a premium to avoid the hassles associated with airline flying.

I personally feel that NetJets has an amazing business model and the critical mass to support it.

Full disclosure: I do not work for NetJets or the airlines, however I would be among the masses applying for NetJets were it not for the toddler at home. I'd miss him too much on those 7 days tours!

One: An interview is not a job offer, and both are fairly competitive places to interview with.

Two: Age is a factor. If you're 50+, why screw around at the bottom of a list at a major? First 3 years of pay pretty much suck at most majors as well.

Three: QOL. Slave away for a few years at a major before you get a good schedule, or get a decent one right off the bat at a frac?

Fractionals have a better "up front" package, but majors MIGHT give you the big money towards the end of your career.

There really is no right answer for this.

He just called me (I think he read the thread, hehehe). Given the choice, he's gonna go with NetJets. He's taking his friends' and wife's advice.

Corporate is not for all pilots, just like airlines aren't for all pilots. Fractional flying seems to be the best mix between the two, but some folks still wouldn't like waiting around for 4-5 hours at an FBO before being released to the hotel.

NJA's new (and EXTREMELY competitive) IBB package has 15 and 18-day airline style schedules in addition to the 7-7...as was previously mentioned. They also have the new 100 domiciles which makes a difference if someone doesn't live or want to commute to MSP/MEM/DTW/ANC.

Age and career aspirations definitely play a role...some folks WANT to fly large aircraft internationally, others WANT to fly the X at .92m.

I suggest going to both interviews, wait and see what gets offered, do a pro/con analysis and then make the best long-term decision.

I'd say NJ...I'm there now and love it....Money IS better, schedule is better (seven days isn't really that bad when you get fed, collect tips, stay in nice hotels, and fly to way different places than the airlines.)

Some say that over the LONG term the pay and QOL will be better at an airline... I agree that QOL and days off may get better way down the road at an airline, but I don't see how pay will be better...

From the last time I looked at APC payscales you would have to be around an 18 yr. 747 captain(at NWA) to make as much as a 10 yr captain at NJ..(depending on what schedule you bid at NJ.) assuming min line guarantee etc. Plus you'd have to add up how much more a NJ capt. made during all the other years. I'd say over the long haul a NJ'er will make more money, have a larger retirement fund, and have way less stress than anyone going to a major.

Latest resources

Back