Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

Hey all,
I know I have made postings about this in the past, but this is more a specific question in these regards.
Out of curiosity, do most of the majors only hire internally? I heard recently Southwest hired two, but it was internal candidates only. I have NEVER seen postings for Delta...and I was thinking that with the recent merger some of the Northwest dispatchers wouldn't have made the move. But alas, I never see anything. I am curious what will happen with the Continental/United merger as well. So if you're currently at a regional, is your only hope to really possibly flow through to the existing major you're associated with, or is there hope for us yet?

I like the company I work for now...but it just has one major problem....I will NEVER make good money here....it makes me want to puke sometimes thinking that our major counterparts start out making more than what I will top out. Going back and reading responses to some of my past posts, I know a lot of people have said regionals are no longer just a stepping stone, but more of a career....but I just don't know if I can accept that...I expect more, I want more ... I don't think that's wrong of me.

CO, UA, DL and NW have all hired from outside in the past. DL didn't hire very many from outside as their old corporate culture considered dispatchers as management. Employees needed 10 years experience in the company and 2 years as a manager in some other area in order to apply for a dispatch position. Selectees were then sent to Sheffield to obtain their license.

At this point, I would not expect to see hiring by CO or UA individually. Then the number of openings will depend on how many of the CO dispatchers will move to Chicago. Many senior people will probably retire, however the pay increase could entice a large number to move.

A large number of NW dispatchers made the move to ATL due to the 10-15k minimum pay raise they received with the DL scale.

Southwest only recently started hiring from outside the company, probably within the last 3 or 4 years. From what I understand, their criteria is pretty strict and it doesn't necessarily help to have a connection. I worked with a guy at Flexjet who had 10 years or more experience in Part 121 and Part 135 operations whose wife was a dispatcher at Southwest. He couldn't get a look.

Some of the above could be old news. It's too bad that most of the freight dogs are in places I don't really want to live. I am not that interested in the Northeast or Michigan, but may have to change my tune at some point in order to secure employment.

Apply at ASA....The dispatchers have a new TA...and if ratified this week, will be an industry leading contract...Good money relatively quickly.

They just hired a full class last month.. a friend of mine was hired there.. dont expect too much hiring for a while.. F...it... yea I said it..report me!

bgaviator...it appears the majors do not pay the scale like in the past. I interviewed at CO about 2 years ago, and would start out only 2k more than what I am now.

23 years doing this it is my career. I worked for a major, made 42k annually, and presto gone when another carrier purchased their assets, and back to regionals.

It is a tough field, and to tough it out, you have to love aviation, and cannot be looking at money anymore. It is not there any longer

Latest resources

Back