Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for some info.

Chase,

"As a side note on this particular note of furloughed pilots I will make this comment. I've had several folks ask me if a letter of resignation to one's previous employer (seniority number) is appropriate to give to SWA. One can debate the pros & cons for a long time. I don't know if SWA is requiring it or is even interested in it. However, if it was me I'd do it to simply demonstrate my desire to come to SWA. "

SWA is requiring a letter of resignation for furloughed pilots.
One to the Chief Pilot & one to Human Resources. That shows some dedication to SWA, if one is willing to give this up. There is less job security during the probationary year at SWA, without the recall rights. There's now nothing to fall back on.

You did make some valid points and I will follow-up on the information provided.

Thanks,

Tony

Glad I could help

tony,

Hope you get some answers. As far as job security for our new hires, I believe SWAPA (the union) & the company do whatever they can to make sure folks get through the 1st year & survive for many more. I know you've talked to some folks who have given you the impression "security" is less than others, I'm not in a position to dispute this. I believe most of the new hires now feel their security is pretty good as long as their flying skills meet the standards...which should be the standard all of us are judge against not just for the first year but every year IMHO. cheers & good luck in the future.

Hi guys,

I also finally received a letter from SWA.
My stats

31 years old
4500 hours, 3800 JET, 1800 PIC JET.
No 737 type rating.
College degree equivalent (overseas)
Contacts called and background check completed.
No drug test.

At first I was very disappointed but now I kind of understand that the situation has changed. They have a great choice of pilots out there. I don't want to ask myself why they didn't take me because I believe that I qualified for that job. It's just that some other people out there also qualified with probably a better experience than me.
I do however have a question regarding the actual interview.
The interviewers have a sheet in front of them where they write your answers. On this sheet was a field with a 1 2 3 4 or 1 2 3 box. Could someone tell me what those were ?
I was under the impression that it was a grade for the answer you're giving. If that's the case I think I didn't get a fair treatment in my last interview. The interviewer would ask me the question and before I would even answer, would already circle the number 1 a few time.

So what do those numbers mean ?

For those who made it, congratulations. For the others, good luck next time around and hang in there.

May have an answer

3greens,

You seem familar, and I think we met at the same interview session.
The People Department explained that every individual that meets the minimum requirements is given an interview. (Just may take time) Type 3 months, No-Type 1 year/maybe longer.

This person will then be observed based on character, personality, and basically who you are. (not your qualifications)
When it comes to the DB, I'm sure they'll be looking at the big picture. I just wish the DB wasn't 4 weeks after the interview and was more personal with the individual. I believe an applicant's strength of being met in person is diminshed some.
I thought my aviation background was my strongest quality going into the process and I would need to concentrate on the personal interview. I thought my chances for selection dramically improved after the successful interview.
Obviously many passed the personal interview only later to receive the letter after DB.
If this is not fully correct, please advise.

Good Luck,

Tony:)

Last edited:
Thanks Badda BING,

I am not trying to find excuses but how can the interviewer circle a 1 before even hearing my answer ? He did it for 80% of the questions. I smell something fishy there.
Maybe it's because I didn't have a type or for some other reason, I don't care. If there was anything that would disqualify me beforehand, then why wasting my time and their time, by calling me for an interview. Not to mention the emotional stress of the last month and a half.

Where you there on the 14th ?

We're in the same boat!

3 Greens,

No not on the 14th, but later in Feb.
Maybe it was the way you began and ended your story?
Telling stories can be difficult, especially to capture the interviewer's interest and trust. You do have a valid point about the interviewer's actions, but I can't answer this.

I experienced something unusual with my interviewers. The session began late, because several on the interviewers couldn't make it to DAL, due to weather.
I know atleast two of the interviewers were called quickly to replace those absent. My one interviewer said he doesn't perform interviews, or maybe hasn't in a while. I thought this was ironic, because it was my one precious chance to sell myself. Now I have to wait two more years.
I haven't seen a clear pattern of the process and I don't know if anyone can provide one.

Good Luck,

Tony:)

I'm not an expert by any means, just treading water in the pool, but when this question came up after the Jan interviews the result was that the 1,2,3s were question numbers.

If you noticed, each interviewer had different colored sheets for each question. Each sheet covers a category or behavior they are looking for. On each sheet there are 3 (maybe 4) questions which all ask about the same category, but in slightly different ways. This is why they don't care if you don't have a story for a particular question....they just pick another one off the sheet.

The reason they could circle a number, therefore, before they even ask the question (I had this a couple times), or before you answer, is that they are merely circling which question they are going to ask you!

Hope this helps reduce some stress;o)

that's correct. I thought the same thing when they circled the numbers before asking the questions. I found out from a pilot friend at SWA that they are merely circling the number of the question they ask you. Wish I knew that before the interview. I screwed up one question because I was concentrating on why the interviewer graded me without hearing my answer.

Latest resources

Back