• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Low Regional Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think JediNein has to be flaming. How stupid can you be to make a post like that?

Go make some pancakes and clean the toilet bowl. I like my steak medium rare.

Hey Amish, oops, your IQ is showing!

Plenty of male pilots have posted equally stupid postings on the whole question of low-timers. Stooping to insults just shows a lack of class or intelligence or both.

I don't know JediNein personally, but she has been on this messageboard for a long time, longer than most of you have even been flying. And from I've been able to tell, she has been a flight instructor for about that long. Look back over the YEARS at her posts. Then give her crap about not flight instructing.

I don't always agree with what she posts, but get your facts straight before you start with the personal attacks.

Rant over.

I also personally believe that everyone should flight instruct, and then get some quality time flying charter or checks or whatever. Anyone who goes from 250TT to a 121 training program is going to be hanging on by the static wicks. I understand why some of the captains here are compaining about babysitting these pilots. Unless you get some real-world experience before going to an airline, that's what's going to happen. And I worry that it will lead to an accident. Only then will the FAA care that this is going on, and even then it may not change anything.

Last edited:
Get some PIC time before you go to an SIC slot.

I instructed for 1888 hours. You may not need that much!:p But after five years of flying jets, my 2500 hours of piston PIC (including that dual given) is still the only FAR 1 PIC that I have.

But seriously, if you go to an FO slot at a regional, you are going to be stuck there until you upgrade, because you can't go up anywhere without PIC time. On the other hand, if you get 700-1000 hours of dual given, then you can go get jet time at the regionals, then move up to a fractional or major.

Are any of the Regionals hiring straight into the captain seat? I'M A 7500 Part 121 guy about to be furloughed and will need a job. Hate to think about starting over again while I wait the 2 or 3 years that it might take to get recalled.

Gulfstream. If you want to spend your career babysitting newby 250 hour FOs in a turboprop with no APU in Florida.

Dollars to donuts, I learned a He!! of a lot more flying around in bad weather at 5000' and 110kts (and WAY more teaching other people how to do it while keeping us both out of the dirt) than I have flying the Barbie-Jet.

Ain't that the truth! I learned way more instructing than I ever did while working on my ratings.

And as far as the other half of your statement, in my part-time job as a aviation interview prep counselor, some of the weakest candidates that I have seen came from a student-to-FO factory whose initials are MPD. They were just lacking a lot of basica airmanship knowledge even though they were jet captains. I'm not trying to start a flame war, that has just been my experience.

Someone thinks that flight schools want the 250 hour wonder pilot turned CFI that knows everything -- just ask them-- that will be around for 2 months, scare off a bunch of students, then split for an airline?

Ah, the blind leading the blind: The newly certified 250 hour CFI trying to teach a complete newbie how to fly. Some do exceptionally well, they care, pay attention to the student, conduct the required ground sessions, and really give a hoot about what happens. I'm mentoring several new CFIs right now that fit the exceptional category.

More often than not, the 250-hour wonders fit the description of the worst of the stereotypical time-builder. Working for free or below minimum wage, no ground, flying only, 70+ hours of cross country dual time without the student ever knowing what a sectional chart is or how to land, and generally treating the students like dirt, turning away countless potential pilots.

When the music stops, I don't want another flight instructor taking out their missed opportunity frustration on their students. I dislike counseling students after their instructor cancelled their lesson with no notice to go fly a multi. I dislike it even further explaining to pilots how some bit of basic aeronautical knowledge their burnt out instructor didn't teach them would have prevented an accident or an incident.

I see the students from instructors that are completely burnt out. It's not pretty. The students are on their way out of aviation, to go out and buy the boat, then spend their time trying to close down the local airport with the dangerous airplanes.

The burnt out attitude permeates the instructor, preventing the instructor from getting hired at an airline once the opportunity comes around again, which will be in another decade (on average).

If one doesn't want to flight instruct, then don't! Right now, and for a limited time, there are plenty of regionals desperate for pilots. Go fly there. Then, if you really really want to, come be a flight instructor, once you've learned how to fly. Then, once you've 'learned to fly', take your experience into the world of flight instruction.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein
5+ years Master CFI, Flight School Owner

I agree, you really need to enjoy the CFI job to be good at it.

If your experience level proves to be insufficient and you wash out of training at a 121 carrier, your career is as good as over before it starts. Make sure you are comfortably ready to make the jump before you do it.

Best of luck.

Hi!

Go right away to a lower-end regional like TSA or Pinnacle that doesn't have a training contract. After 6 months or so you can get on with Horizon, Air WI, Express Jet, Skywest, etc. Chautaqua/Republic has a $2500 signing bonus and, basically, no mins if you're already RJ trained. Flying 121 ME Jet is much better for you than instructing, as far as a resume builder, and you'll be getting up to 100 hrs/month, so you'll build time fast.

Pinnacle, PSA and USA Jet are the first ones to have these official minimums:
Comm-MEL
Inst-Airplane
NO HOURLY MINS

The pilot shortage tsunami has just started hitting the airlines.

cliff
GRB

what he said

Preach it Sister Jedi!

If I could make airline pay and bennies (although it is getting closer :( ) I would gladly flight instruct. Loved it then, love it now. But, there is always some (now with their Part 142 program) 160 hour Riddle Rat f'ing up my mojo--and pay.

Latest resources

Back