Lost medical due to failed drug test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dumpduck1

I lost my medical about a year ago for a failed pre-employment drug test I took over 3 years ago.The FAA wanted me to take a bunch of test with a qualified psychiatrist to get it back.Do I have any options after so much time?

I checked no in the did you fail a drug test with in the last 2 year block on my 3rd class application.Thats it thats all.I still have my private and A&P.They just took my medical.

http://aviationmedicine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home

Assuming your clean now these docs can help you. Just like anything involving a doctor, be prepared pay the piper. I doubt you will get out of it without seeing a shrink. They arn't just going to take your word that your clean. After all you were busted for lying before.

Time does not and will not heal this wound.

If you want a medical, you have to go through an approved treatment program, usually not just shrinks.

Be happy the treatment option is available, before, once you failed or refused to test, you were done with safety sensitive positions and flying.

The only option that you have is to do what the FAA requests. You have no other options. If you are an AOPA member, call their medical and legal services division. You will need legal help on this as well because you did lie on the medical application.

I lost my medical about a year ago for a failed pre-employment drug test I took over 3 years ago.

Realizing that this was from last month, I am curious if this means that the FAA's Aeromedical branch regional flight surgeon for your area sent you a certified letter requesting you consult mental health professionals as well as submit the results of a battery of mental health tests in order to determine continued elgibility for medical certification under 67.107, 67.207, or 67.307? If that is the case and you did not comply, did the FAA later send you a letter of enforcement action in which they requested you either return or account for the whereabouts of all valid medical certificates?

Last edited:
Why would somebody want to hire somebody that was on drugs and then lied about it? If you are just trying to get a medical to fly, why would they think you would follow any rules?

I lost my medical about a year ago for a failed pre-employment drug test I took over 3 years ago.The FAA wanted me to take a bunch of test with a qualified psychiatrist to get it back. Do I have any options after so much time?

Your question and subsequent post make little sense without more information. Here, you suggest that you lost your medical because you failed a drug test. In fact, you state as much. However, in your next post, you state that you lost your medical for lying on your application form. Which is it? You lost your medical for failing a drug test, or for falsification on a federal application form?

You state that the FAA wanted you to "take a bunch of tests," and ask about your options after "so much time." Understanding exactly when your medical was revoked would clarify just how much time "so much time" is. Details regarding the nature of your certificate revocation would likewise be helpful.

On the one hand, you may have lost the medical three years ago and subsequently lied on a reapplication two years later, or you may have failed the drug test three years ago and then lost your medical one year ago for falsification. This isn't clear, but is significant in addressing your concern.

The line item to which you refer is as follows, with the official guidance in answering the form and how it applies to you as the applicant.

Applicant History-Item 19. Medical History
n. substance dependence; or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last two years

Substance includes alcohol and other drugs (e.g., PCP, sedatives and hypnotics, anxiolytics, marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, hallucinogens, and other psychoactive drugs or chemicals). For a "yes" answer to Item 18.n., the Examiner should obtain a detailed description of the history. A history of substance dependence or abuse is disqualifying. The Examiner must defer issuance of a certificate if there is doubt concerning an applicant's substance use.

While your questions are somewhat ambiguous, you appear to have failed your recent (one year ago) medical based on falsification, with the failed drug test being independent and unrelated to any faa action or aplication two years prior to that. This brings up a question; what did you fail the test for, and how did the FAA find out you failed? I ask, because there has got to be more to the story. Unless you lied on the application and then told the FAA after the fact that you lied, something triggered the FAA response.

Did this tie in with any motor vehicle action or suspension of driving priveleges? Did this involve a DoT physical or employment screening?

As another poster noted, my chief concern in hearing your comments are a) the failed drug test, b) the falsification on the medical certificate, and c) what appears to be a lack of concern about either one, on your part. Each of these is a serious issue.

How long has it been since the FAA requested the screening by a psychiatrist, and why did you not do it?

Have you consulted an attorney?

Latest resources

Back