Losing it's Luster

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maru657

That's the title in an article posted in Air Transport World. Worth mentioning only because of the wild inaccuracies and assumptions.
It quotes such luminaries as Chuck Hogeman, ALPA's human factors and traing group chair, David Wright, Jepps senior manager-training solutions and other barely literate experts. The meat of the article is that actual experience dosen't matter and that attending some "puppy mill" airline school will rectify all of our problems. All of our woes are due to the insufficient amount of pilots being produced by the government and the pilots of Colgain Air supposedly had plenty of flight time. Specifically mentioned is the Colgain Captains response to a stall warning. However, the FAA's mandate nowdays is to do exactly what the Colgain Captain did, pull back on the stick and hold altitude. They just forgot the part about an iced up aircraft and tail. As a friend said, "If we prosecuted the Colgain and Continental management along with the P.O.I. staff for contributing to manslaughter, We might find a sudden new reverance for actual experience among airline staff".

That's the title in an article posted in Air Transport World. Worth mentioning only because of the wild inaccuracies and assumptions.
It quotes such luminaries as Chuck Hogeman, ALPA's human factors and traing group chair, David Wright, Jepps senior manager-training solutions and other barely literate experts. The meat of the article is that actual experience dosen't matter and that attending some "puppy mill" airline school will rectify all of our problems. All of our woes are due to the insufficient amount of pilots being produced by the government and the pilots of Colgain Air supposedly had plenty of flight time. Specifically mentioned is the Colgain Captains response to a stall warning. However, the FAA's mandate nowdays is to do exactly what the Colgain Captain did, pull back on the stick and hold altitude. They just forgot the part about an iced up aircraft and tail. As a friend said, "If we prosecuted the Colgain and Continental management along with the P.O.I. staff for contributing to manslaughter, We might find a sudden new reverance for actual experience among airline staff".

You got it!

All they're doing is trying to set the stage for the MPL. Somehow, they are bound and determined to find pilots who are both cheap and quality at the same time. I fear that my career will be over before someone finally realizes that cheap and quality are mutually exclusive.

You got it!

All they're doing is trying to set the stage for the MPL. Somehow, they are bound and determined to find pilots who are both cheap and quality at the same time. I fear that my career will be over before someone finally realizes that cheap and quality are mutually exclusive.

Well put-

MPL is an awful threat to our profession. I believe cabotage is an equally large threat. Once people figure out that they can keep getting out to Portland for $49 each way, they will be falling all over each other to get cabotage in place. Either of these eventualities will absolutely destroy whatever we have left of a career. (And people like Gen Lee are just as vulnerable as the most junior guy at the crappiest regional.)

-The only guys who will profit are the familiar few who are profiting now.

ATP not the answer

Quote:

Losing its Luster

- ATW Online

By Lisa Ray
Created 2010-05-01 00:00
By Aaron Karp

Both the House of Representatives and Senate have passed legislation that would require all Part 121 pilots to possess an ATP license, meaning it is very possible it will soon be mandated by law that even a regional airline FO will have to possess one.

“An ATP does not require an extensive amount of training,” Lovelace says. “It’s based on hours in the logbook. It doesn’t cover a lot of varied topics or skill sets.” He notes that the captain in the Colgan accident had an ATP (he had more than 3,300 hr. of total flying time) but was found by NTSB to have made a number of key mistakes on the night of the crash and to have had five “unsatisfactory” check rides throughout his career.

Higher Standards

Pilot education “should be based on competencies as opposed to hours,” Macchiarella agrees. He adds, “We believe that hours and competencies are not necessarily correlated. [pilot]

Exactly as I have said the possession of an ATP in not the answer to competency in the cockpit, a couple years in the on-demand business is a great way to develope those competencies

I don't think they get it at least our revered new head of the FAA dosen't. Congress is apearantly passing those bills over his objections. I mean what are the poor puppy mill flight schools to do if they can't boost their graduates right into an airline seat? Despite the articles premise, There dosen't appear to be any impending shortage of pilots, Maybe experienced pilots. But the industry has treated experience like something to be avoided at all cost for a long time, it might interfere with the ability of flt ops management to impliment some hairbrained descision based on figures instead of imperical fact. The intended bills by congress are an end run around the status quo implemented over years of specious reasoning. Pardon the spelling,,, I'm sober.

The more you fly Colgain the more hair you will grow......

Now if spelling and grammar were required we WOULD have a pilot shortage...... ;)

I'd probably be out of a job too.....lol

I think this is it.

Indeed, the ICAO Multi-Crew Pilot License standard, which calls for just 240 hr. of flying time, is premised on the notion that the quality of training is far more important than the number of hours accumulated (ATW,March 2008, p. 44). The US “hasn’t embraced” MPLtraining, Macchiarella says.

I had to look it up also.

Speaking of the Colgan crash, why isn't Continental financially responsible, while it appears BP is going to pay for the oil spill damages (and cleanup)when they had used an outsourced drilling rig?

It quotes such luminaries as Chuck Hogeman, ALPA's human factors and traing group chair, David Wright, Jepps senior manager-training solutions and other barely literate experts. .

Funny thing....the "Barely literate experts" are in Air transport World and your sorry ass is pissing his panties on FI....Classy!!!

Latest resources

Back