• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looming Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilot Shortage-- I just got my private ticket and a commercial pilot guide. American is on the phone and wants me to sign now to fly the 777.
Pilot Surplus-- I have 10,000 hours, all turbine multi PIC, survived two total engine failures of all engines, and am 40 in great health. Airnet will not give me an interview.

somewhere in between

Pilot Shortage-- I just got my private ticket and a commercial pilot guide. American is on the phone and wants me to sign now to fly the 777.
Pilot Surplus-- I have 10,000 hours, all turbine multi PIC, survived two total engine failures of all engines, and am 40 in great health. Airnet will not give me an interview.
Somewhere in between, but closer to the latter

Last edited:
There may be a pilot shortage but they forgot to figure out how they are gong to fly. Guess Vodka works good in a jet engine.

I've been hearing of a coming pilot shortage for at least 50 years. I hear there is one now but I know many furloughed pilots from the various airlines who can not find work at the level they are suited. Yes, they could go the the bottom of the Regional list but they just are not ready to do that. So right now there is no real pilot shortage, except for maybe CFI's. There is a CFI pilot shortage, or at least a shortange of pilots who are willing to accept a CFI job and do the work required. If CFI wages go to $75,000 per year then maybe that would solve that problem but such wages are unlikely.

There may be a world wide pilot shortage, specifically in Asia and the Middle East soon because so few pilots are being trained worldwide. There will be enough in any event if only those pilots who are out of work in this country are willing to relocate to those parts of the world. As with the CFI's for enough money they will relocate.

Therefore the so called pilot shortage is really all about money. For enough money, there is no pilot shortage. And, yes, there is a pilot shortage if there are only minimum wage salaries for these trained professionals.

The really good jobs are far and few; I hope with those 10,000 hours you are able to find a job in some occupation other than aviation. I have seen what have happen to pilots that only knew how to fly aircraft over the last twenty-five years and it was not a pretty sight. choose wisely young man. Your life will depend on it.

One of the reasons the CFI shortage is here is because of a lack of people to do the initial sign off. The pay isn't there for people to stick around for 2 years.

Still think there's a pilot shortage, folks? Looming, or otherwise?

With airlines going out of business at the rate of one a week or more, with aircraft being parked, with furloughs coming down the pipe again, with those desperate-for-pilots countries such as India banning foreign pilots (and suspending duty times)...still think there's a shortage, by any stretch of the imagination?

There isn't.

For a shortage, a lot of good pilots are going to be having a hard time finding work. Doesn't sound like much of a shortage.

There is no shortage of pilots. Actually i see the future of aviation as rather abysmal personally, I would not recommend anyone get into it, and I would recommend anyone who is not in their career job (USAF, Fedex, SWA, etc), to have a plan B, and C so at least if you find yourself out of work, you have something else to fall back on

I think the glory days of the airlines, are in many respects, a relic of the past.

Latest resources

Back