• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

Southwest to transform AirTran hub into ‘megacity’
By Kelly Yamanouchi
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Sunday, September 11, 2011
When Southwest Airlines fully takes over the operations of AirTran Airways in Atlanta, it will transform AirTran’s hub into what Southwest calls a “megacity” operation.

That means lots of flights but less emphasis on connections — and changes to the route map and schedules.

“I think we’re going to make some radical changes to the AirTran flight schedule,” Southwest chief executive Gary Kelly said recently.

So far, Southwest has announced plans to ax AirTran flights to Atlantic City, N.J., and Newport News, Va., and to launch nonstop service to Austin, Texas, when the Dallas-based carrier starts flying its own planes to Atlanta this winter.

“The immediate danger is to smaller cities,” said Brett Snyder, a former airline manager and author of a blog at crankyflier.com.

Maybe no allnighters? I do them occasionally, and businessmen seem to like them. At least GK seems to want to keep AT and their planes, which is something some Corndogs on here don't want to admit.

And a "Megacity?" You mean 1 concourse total? (half of C and half of D) Delta has 5 of those. Oh wait, you are going to do 16 min turns, at the World's busiest airport. Riiiiiiiiight. Good luck Cornies!

GODSPEED TO THE CORNDOGS!

OYS

Scoreboard,

No worries. There is absolutely nothing new in what he posted. ATL to be a 'flow-through' city. It's kinda what we do..

Southwest won't do the hub and spoke in Atlanta....earth shattering post OYS.

RF

All up in your six.... I'd make sure the popcorn gets taken out with the Friday morning trash can.... Arby's makes great Roast Beast Sammies, but I am certain our union won't be needing their help with our list. Go play with you kids, your family, or if those don't apply than with your favorite person (yourself) and take a rest from your sticky keyboard.... Oh and most importantly.....

Godspeed

No disrespect meant to our soon to be Airtran brothers and sisters..... Just tired of the nonsense a non caring 1%er from a competing airline has to say.

All up in your six.... I'd make sure the popcorn gets taken out with the Friday morning trash can.... Arby's makes great Roast Beast Sammies, but I am certain our union won't be needing their help with our list. Go play with you kids, your family, or if those don't apply than with your favorite person (yourself) and take a rest from your sticky keyboard.... Oh and most importantly.....

Godspeed

Are you trying to debate with OYS? He posted an article, and gave a comment. You can agree with him, or tell him why you don't. I personally would like to see Southwest try to do their famous turns at ATL and see how that works out. I don't think it has worked out at LGA or EWR (20 min turns), and it probably won't happen at ATL either. Have fun with your Arby's Roast Beast Sammies.....?

Bye Bye---General Lee

I am not happy we are supposedly gonna stagnate, but I can't imagine shrinkage!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-to-Fly-Less-in-zacks-637896405.html?x=0&.v=1

Hey look, it appears SWA is cancelling it's PHL-BOS route early next year. Looks like USAir beat SWA on that route, and PIT-PHL is cancelling too.

Southwest Airlines to Cancel Philadelphia – Boston Service from Feb 2012

Southwest Airlines from 11FEB12 is cancelling it service on Philadelphia – Boston route, where it currently operates 6 times a day.

Shrinkage, indeed!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
1 route is not 2-5%.

Please raise the bar!! you're killing the industry.

Hay, cool submarine jacket!!!!

Thanks Fonzi, Haaaayyyyy! Nice leather biker jacket! Actually PIT-PHL was in my post too, but you didn't see it. And didn't some analyst say in his statement that "many smaller cities" could get the ax? I assume they could be current Airtran cities? If that happens, what could happen if your list is combined by the panel of arbitrators? You actually could be affected. You just never know. I think your new airline could see a lot more than 2-5% cuts, and you don't know yet where you will end up on that list. Good luck.

From the above article:

“The immediate danger is to smaller cities,” said Brett Snyder, a former airline manager and author of a blog at crankyflier.com.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back