Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

iflyhigh

To anyone that can help:

Does anyone know if SWA prefers 135 or 121 time?

I am currently flying corporate charter under 135 and occasionally logging PIC Turbine, already have the SWA requirements. I now have the opportunity to go and fly a Boeing once again under 121, obviously First Officer initially.

I am looking for any advice as to what SWA cares about, if they do at all. I am hoping to get my 737 type by November, job permitting.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

this is what I heard...

iflyhigh,

I was on a very similar situation early on this year. I have been flying a Metroliner as a Captain for a Part 135 operator my whole flying career. In January, I had an opportunity to get a type rating and fly a Hawker 600 as a captain or go to a Regional to fly RJ as an FO. My flying mentor who works for Southwest asked Sherley Maples the PHX chief pilot last year for advice and she said "tell him to get the Jet PIC". So, according to her, Jet PIC would make me more competitive than getting Part 121 experience. Now, it seems to me that since you are not necessarily upgrading equipment for the Part 135 operator, moving over to the 737 Part 121 may make more sense in your case. That's my experience but get advice from others...

Advice

Please take this with a grain of salt but based upon what you have posted I would say the following about what to do.

There is having the minimums for SWA & there is having well more than the minimums for SWA. If you have "just enough" PIC time I would continue to log PIC time in whatever aircraft you can get it in, but that is up to a point. The point is how long you've been with the charter company for example. If the move leaves you with good recommendations from the previous employer & is to simply get to a Boeing product then I would say go for it. Getting the type ASAP is key also, don't wait around very long. You won't be called anytime within the next year (my best guess) without a type & other minimums met whenever the new app window opens up. Hope that helps,

Latest resources

Back