Looking for best path to regain currency for mil-civ transition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Col Reb

I'm about 18 months out from retiring from the Navy and having to get a real job. Unfortunately, I have been out of the cockpit for several years.
Does anyone have any advice/experience with a cost effective way to regain flight currency to a level to be competitive for a job?
(I'm on my final tour, so getting mil flying orders is not an option.)
Thanks.

Go to the Job Fairs, go the pilot employment sites, find out who is hiring and what they are looking for, six months prior to EOS apply everywhere, even junk operators like JUS. Be prepared to take the first job that gets you back into the cockpit, remember you are establishing currency, not picking a career location. Although you may find you can pick a career slot coming out of the box.

With the coming experienced shortage, your quality flight time, although not recent, will give you a strong resume. Don't make QOL or location a show stopper on what job you will take to regain your currency. You may fidn the regionals welcome you with open arms, after all you have more than 1500 hours and an ATP. With your retirement the pay at regional won't the killer that many people find.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Or just go get your CFII/MEI/ATP right now and start instructing or doing some charter flying on the side/weekends. You're in it for the hours, not the pay.

With 18 months left before retirement you have more than enough time to get 100-200 hours (which is what you need in the last year) and you can bypass doing all that low wage bottom feeding flying recommended above.

You're already qualified for the majors, you just need to be current.

I would pick up a type rating, maybe in an aircraft you hope to fly once you leave the military. CAE and FSI offer type ratings for something like a King Air or Citation for around $7000. Higher Power does a 737 type for around the same amount.

These courses usually take about two weeks so do it on terminal leave so you are still getting paid.

Latest resources

Back