Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
I'm looking at probably being displaced from captain back to first officer in a few months. With displacement rights, I could either go back to the right seat of the saab which I'm currently flying and have been for 4 years, or go to the Avro.

The pay is the same for both and schedules are fairly similar. Also I would most likely be bidding #1 on either list. So would you put yourself through a whole new training event to get the jet time (will it really make a big difference down the road?), or go for the easy transition in the plane you're already flying? Just looking for some different points of view to take into consideration here. :confused:

My thought is, all else being equal, go for the jet time.... Plus eventually you will be upgrading as Captain in the jet so might as well have your first exposure be in a First Officer position...

That sounds like something that you can only answer. Do you still get to go to Europe for 4 weeks for Avro training? That might be kind of cool. You probably have enough turbine PIC time to go to a major once they start hiring. So I guess you have to ask do you want jet time or not? Is it worth the extra training to you? Good luck in your choice.

Are the tranning events going to be the same amont of time or if you take the sabb are you going to just be able to down grade, and miss having to do a tranning event over the holidays. Are the bases going to be the same or are you going to have to move to another base to fly the jet. You said the pay is the same for both so I guessing you are talking about Mesaba? I have alway heard for guys over there that they jet guys have alot more down time and longer layovers then the sabb guys. So even if the pay is the same which plane can you charge the compnay more hours while flying.

Also have they told you guys how long you would be sitting as a FO, or did you get the standard "Untill things turn around" Also is there a seatlock if you change equipment when down grading, I wouldnt think there would be, but who knows what was slid into a contract at the last minute.

If you dont mind donig the extra trannig even then take the jet, as stated before it will be a real good insite into what you will be able to fly latter.

An upside of having to go back to a FO is that now you may have the chance to upgrade into the jet latter on, if I remember right once you upgrade into the sabb can you take the jet latter on. I remember something about only being able to switch from one to the other was at up grade.

Best of luck in what evey you do, and I hope MGMT stops jerking you guys around soon.

coming from a novice- Wouldn't the natrual progression to advance in this industry be into the jet?

Great luck to ya,

You start dying when you stop learning.

If I was in your position I would probably go into the Avro since 121 jet time doesn't seem to grow on trees and should look pretty good on a resume. The Saab is a very nice piece of equipment however I think having the 121 jet time may be more "golden" at some point down the line "IF" you would decide to move on elsewhere to a different company which WANTS "jet time".... I think alot of this depends on your personal preference and whether you want to learn another aircraft starting from point A and having to go through a complete training course.

The Avro has my vote though hands down- :D :D

Good luck-

3 5 0 :D :eek:

Hey Saabslime, how ya doin? :D

I'd look at the quality of life issues for both planes. CVG is an easy commute, you wouldn't be away from home that much. Would you be based in DTW in the Saab as F/O?

I do think however that the AVRO will look good on a resume. I personally would go for the AVRO.

just my ramblings. ;)

Avro

Notwithstanding the fact that the Avro (and its predecessor, the BAe 146) is one of my favorite airplanes :), I would choose it. Getting four-hole jet time would be worth it. You already have all the prop turbine you need. 121 jet time will look good on your resume, especially considering you have 121 prop time already.

Any chance of upgrading to Captain on the Avro when the time comes? If so, going to the Avro is a no-brainer, in my .02 opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS-I thought about it further. Don't forget, you've been Captain and have some all-important 121 turbine PIC time under your belt. So, I see nothing but positives about bidding the Avro and getting jet time. Of course, that's how you'd sell it at your next interview. Whoever interviews you will, or should, understand that you were riffed down a seat.

Once again, good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
generaltso said:
Take the plane with the APU

HAH HAH HAH. I had a bunch of well - thought - out responses, but that pretty much sums them all up. I don't know how much PIC turbine time you have, but if you have hit the magic 1000 hour mark, take the jet. I know that all the majors and nationals will stop looking for additional qualifications if you have some large jet time with 1000 PIC turbine.

Most airline training departments utilize senior pilots as instructors and Check Airmen. Most senior pilots would utilize anything at their disposal to avoid working during the holidays. Ergo, don't worry about being in training during the holidays. Take the jet job.

Latest resources

Back