Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
I've got an itch, and I need to scratch. I want to build a plane, and I need it to meet certain requirements.

Here it is:
-Must seat more than one.
-Must have floats option.
-Must be a FAIRLY simple project (1500-2000 hours max)
-Must be fairly inexpensive ($20,000 w/out engine & instruments)

I know that this is a pipe dream, but if you know of something that meets all or most of the "requirements", please do tell!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shy

Why floats?

Try an amphib www.searey.com
I'd like an amphip, but I just don't see it. My favorite series of aircraft of all time are the Albatross, Goose, and Mallard from Grumman. But they are not efficient and generally high-maintenance. I don't want it to look home-made, so the less wires the better. I like the look of the Cub on floats, it's just a classic look, as is the Grumman series. The SeaRey is a nice plane, but it just doesn't have "the look." Pretty expensive as well... :(

Shy

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Zenair 701? Two place,all metal, very simple construction (400 hours or so), super short field performance, float capable, many different engine options. Price for the kit is about $14,000. Another $17,000 or so for 100hp Rotax or Jabiru engine with firewall forward package. Of course avionics, interior, paint, etc. would be extra. Look at www.zenair.com, they have all the info needed with many pictures of float equiped 701. If you want a 4 place, then the Zenair 801 with a 180 hp engine would work.

Have you looked at the Zenair 701? Two place,all metal, very simple construction (400 hours or so), super short field performance, float capable, many different engine options. Price for the kit is about $14,000. Another $17,000 or so for 100hp Rotax or Jabiru engine with firewall forward package. Of course avionics, interior, paint, etc. would be extra. Look at www.zenair.com, they have all the info needed with many pictures of float equiped 701. If you want a 4 place, then the Zenair 801 with a 180 hp engine would work.
I like it! It's a little awkward looking, but it's a hit on all the bullet-points I mentioned above. These are GREAT recommendations... Anything else? I think we're going to be making the purchase on the first of the year...

Thanks for the info so far...

Shy

Latest resources

Back