Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
When you fly gliders does that add to your TT, and then contribute to powered time so you could actually get a Comm. in less time than 250 hours. i.e. 125 hours in a glider, 125 hours in powered = 250 TT = eligible for Comm?

Joshrk22 said:
When you fly gliders does that add to your TT, and then contribute to powered time so you could actually get a Comm. in less time than 250 hours. i.e. 125 hours in a glider, 125 hours in powered = 250 TT = eligible for Comm?
Yes, gliders count towards total time, as well as towards the requirements of additional certificates and ratings.

It's quite likely, however, that you will be dealing with airplane instructors who don't know that :(

Fly safe!

David

Joshrk22 said:

Plus it will make you a real pilot! I still contend that you are not a real pilot until you have flown gliders or taildraggers (preferrably both). I'll probably get vetoed on that one though.

Anyone know how many a glider usually costs to rent? I want to do mine through CAP, anyone know how much the 2-32 costs (I know it's based on the wing; I'm in MIWG)? I'm doing my powered training through there now, so I want to do the 10 flight & 3 hours thing.

If you log 125 hours in a glider and 125 hours in a single engine land airplane, how do you come up with less than 250 hours? Time is logged according to category and class; total time is a combination of all category/class times, and 125 hours plus 125 hours is 250 hours.

Commercial pilot certificate:
§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.
(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:
(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.
(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least -
(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and
(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.

Of course, if you're going for the commercial under Part 141, then you can do it in considerably less than 250 hours; 120 hours of instruction under Part 141.

You seem to feel that flying a glider is somehow a lesser experience than flying a powered aircraft?

redd said:
If you log 125 hours in a glider and 125 hours in a single engine land airplane, how do you come up with less than 250 hours? Time is logged according to category and class; total time is a combination of all category/class times, and 125 hours plus 125 hours is 250 hours.

Commercial pilot certificate:

Of course, if you're going for the commercial under Part 141, then you can do it in considerably less than 250 hours; 120 hours of instruction under Part 141.

You seem to feel that flying a glider is somehow a lesser experience than flying a powered aircraft?

I worded myself poorly. I mean't that you could get your Comm with less than 250 hours in powered aircraft. Also, I don't think that flying gliders is any easier, but I just asked because it is cheaper to fly a glider than a powered airplane and you still get to log the time.

WateryGrave said:
Plus it will make you a real pilot! I still contend that you are not a real pilot until you have flown gliders or taildraggers (preferrably both). I'll probably get vetoed on that one though.

You could fly a Grob 109 motorglider, and get both at the same time!

-Goose

Oh, and I'd ad acro to that list.

Good call, you'll be a better pilot for it.

In the 1980's, the Air Force noticed that the UPT students with significant (>100 sorties) glider time did exceptionally well in pilot training, so much so that they investigated the use of soaring as a form of initial training, much like the Germans did pre WW2. There's something there, I'm not sure what... maybe energy management, rudder skills, precision patterns and landings, and overall air sense. Too bad it never went anywhere.

One good thing is that if you soar enough cross country, you'll have real confidence in your ability to set up and execute a flame-out landing in a GA aircraft. Picking the field, setting up the pattern, glidepath control, slips, stuff like that.

Joshrk22 said:
Anyone know how many a glider usually costs to rent? I want to do mine through CAP, anyone know how much the 2-32 costs (I know it's based on the wing; I'm in MIWG)? I'm doing my powered training through there now, so I want to do the 10 flight & 3 hours thing.

In Alabama, the CAP Blanik is $10/hr plus tow charges. Since CAP sold their Maules, the soaring society provides tows. About $10 for a rope break, $30 for a tow up to 3000agl.

Gorilla said:
One good thing is that if you soar enough cross country, you'll have real confidence in your ability to set up and execute a flame-out landing in a GA aircraft. Picking the field, setting up the pattern, glidepath control, slips, stuff like that.

I think I've settled on a goal to get at least my FAI Silver badge. It'd be something good to work for!

-Goose

Latest resources

Back