• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All good responses. I think, however, you are asking how do you get from 0 to 250, in the least expensive manner. Your friend poses a good option. I know many people who have their own plane, and are not at all opposed to having someone along. An extra set of eyes, someone to fly while they are planning, etc. A possibility is, therefore, to go around to the local airports, and post a note. Tell people, everyone you know, that you want to get some time in. A friend of mine is always looking for a co-pilot, because he travels all over the country in his plane. The downside is that you may have to miss a day of school.
There's a guy, Hal Stoen, who has a website www.stoenworks.com (good reading, by the way) and he talks about how he went from a low time CFI to being a corporate pilot. Not because he applied and wowed them, but because someone he knew recommended him for the job.
Many people here will point out that the best way to get a job is have someone inside recommend you. So, all this networking that you are going to embark on has the potential for a good payback. Just keep this in mind, that the worst network is the one that has been allowed to go dormant. If you start contacting people, keep the contacts up.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the insightful and truly honest responses. Unfortunately, the military flying isn't an option (I'm married to one and it does NOT interest me). I do have a degree from ERAU, and I work a FT 9-5 job, so I'd like to do this all local, and it has to be done on my own dime & own time. Yes, I am out for the experience and that's exactly what my question was about: other roads to go down that will be fun & interesting toward a pilot career. As I progress, I'll let ya know. But thanks! :D

FlyGirlFelicia said:
Well,
I think being a CFI would be a lot of fun, I'm in aviation training as a 9-5 job during the week. I'm just not sure at this point (and it's an early point at that) if I am cut out for the CFI job. How does one KNOW, at what point does that become clear?
It is a lot of fun. You are correct, it takes most a while to realize they are cut out for instructing. Many don't realize it till after they started. It's a heck of an experience, and one that you'll remember, and use, often.

Hey, which campus did you go to? Considering there were like 3 girls in PRC and I don't remember a Felicia, I'll guess Daytona!

FlyGirlFelicia said:
How does one KNOW, at what point does that become clear? It's still pretty new to me, so I can't imagine teaching all of this PLUS the other stuff that comes along with it.
Well, for me, I started working on the CFI just to get another rating. I really liked "training", had no intention at the time of becoming a professionally paid pilot, and just wanted to keep at it. Half way through the CFI training, I realized how much I liked flight instructing, and decided not only to teach after getting the rating, but decided to change careers altogether.

You already seem to know you want to be a career pilot. Just work on completing every rating and certificate you can as you build your hours and experience. You'll gain enlightenment soon enough :) and decide whether you want to be a CFI or not.

Instructing

FlyGirlFelicia said:
My degree is a B.S. in Professional Aeronautics. :cool: I also have an Aviation Safety minor and certificate.
I instructed at ERAU-Prescott from 1988-'91. Most Professional Aeronautics people I knew had all of their ratings through at least Commercial. They received college credits for their ratings. Are you in that category?
I think being a CFI would be a lot of fun, I'm in aviation training as a 9-5 job during the week. I'm just not sure at this point (and it's an early point at that) if I am cut out for the CFI job. How does one KNOW, at what point does that become clear? It's still pretty new to me, so I can't imagine teaching all of this PLUS the other stuff that comes along with it.
Everyone was new at one time. Despite what some people think of themselves, no one is born imbued with aeronautical knowledge and flying skills. It all has to be learned, and the learning never stops, even after one is no longer "new."

You will know if you're cut out for instructing if you truly enjoy flying and are willing to give to others. I got into instructing originally because I thought it would be a fun way to put flying on a paying basis. After I started and soloed my first student, I found that I really enjoyed teaching others and worked hard to be good at it. Later, it got me real work in aviation. The amount of knowledge I gained through instructing was mind-blowing. I like to think that maybe I helped my students achieve their goals, but the truth is my students were the best "instructors" I ever had.

Food for thought. Good luck with your plans - but don't foreclose on instructing.

Latest resources

Back