• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbooks and Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been thinking of making the switch to an electronic logbook and finally did with Logten Pro. I was not excited about doing all the data entry for my past flights so what they recommend is that you separate all your hours for each plane and group them in one line dated on the last day that you had flown the plane. For example, April 28, 1997 was the last day that I have flown a Cessna 150 then I log all 60 hours and make entries for Dual received, PIC, night, etc under that date. If I ever get an interview, I plan on having a print out of my electronic log book, with all its entries and my old logbooks for reference. I guess it is all up to the ones conducting the interview but I should think that moving into new technology (as every other type of log entry system is doing) is the way to go. Does anyone "in the know" have an opinion on this?

I did just as you described. Made a single line for each aircraft type up until I started airline flying. No problems during the interview with bringing forward totals.

I don't even keep a logbook. Too much of a pain in the rear.
That's what the guy I interviewed with at America West said after he'd been furloughed from his job at a major he'd had for well over a decade. No logbooks, no way to prove the numbers he'd put on the application.

That's what one of the guys who interviewed at Hawaiian said after he'd interviewed with us after Aloha folded. 20+ years of flying, and no way to prove it.

You never know what's going to happen to your career. Keep a logbook.

HAL

The last interview I was at, one of the candidates had a briefcase full of "pocket logbooks". Probably 15 or more. I didn't see him in new hire training.

WTFO! If each of these interview panels want you to break out your time differently depending on how they interpret "PIC"...I'd by beer forever for the guy bringing a wheelbarrow full of pocket of logbooks to the interview...dump 'em out and say "HAVE AT IT".

That would be worth the price of admission. :beer: :beer:

I use a combination of the little red ones and a master............
One line in the master is one day with a total, regardless of the amount of legs. In the remarks column I write "refer to book 2 or 3 or 4 for details"
The master logs have my running total, the little ones have city pairs, tails etc. I then tab the master where there is an upgrade, transition etc.......I had job offers from the "majors" several years ago. I always asked interviewers (when i could) about my logs, nobody cared as long as the times where obvious. I remember one guy told me the cataloging of the little red ones was overkill, his opinion.
Keep in mind, it wasn't 4000 hrs I was keeping track of, it was a bit more......

Yes, the little red ones have big white numbers on them......

Guys, the electronic logbooks are nice because if you have it printed out with totals or you're filling out an application, you can simply press a button and have specific totals in front of you. I remember looking over at this guy with a calculator adding things up for quite awhile because they'd ask how many hours in the last 6 months? Or how many hours in multiengine turbine in the last 12 months at night. Good luck with it if you don't have an electronic logbook. Just saying...been there done that.

for an interview how far back would you print on of the electronic log book to bring with you?

for an interview how far back would you print on of the electronic log book to bring with you?

I brought the entire thing. Adjusted the line spacing so that I could get like 33 lines per page. I started my electronic logbook in 2001 and later went back and added the previous 4 years so that I would have ever flight in electronic format. So now all of my logbook is leg-by-leg. The entire thing printed out was about 2 inches thick double sided [8.5"x11" slightly heavier paper in landscape]. I also added some of the reports logbook pro offers and a world map with connecting lines for ever flight that I have ever done [pretty cool]. Looks like one of those route maps from the in-flight magazine. I put those at the front combined with a title page, signed every page, and had it bound at FedEx Kinkos. I also brought the original logbook with all the original sign-offs as well. That book stopped at about 4,000 hours but the electronic one was complete.

Latest resources

Back