Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Letter to "Senator" Boxer from Alaska Air pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bravo!

My sentiments exactly, Mr. Hill (whether you're real or not).

What do you expect? They all go to work in a city that had a mayor sent to Fedral prison for drugs and prostitution who, upon his release, they promptly REELECTED!!! If anything needs cleaning out it's the ranks of the voters in this country. There was a reason (partially) besides racism that originally you had to be a white male landowner to vote in this country.

Too bad 'Mr. Hill' didn't put as much effort into research (or remember what he was taught in basic) as he did this letter.

Ma'am is used in the military as a form of address to female Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers, but shouldn't be used outside of the military as an official form of address.

When talking to a Senator, the accepted form of address is "Senator____". Within the senate they may refer to themselves as "the gentleman/gentlewoman from____", or "the distinguished Senator from_____", but never as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

I thought they tought these things in basic training Mr. Hill. :D

HAL

Even in the military ma'am is used for Junior officers (O1 to O4) anything above will be called by the rank they wear. A senator is addressed as "senator". Sources are OPNAVINST, COMDINST, and AFI. I am sure the army has something as well. The General messed up and as a true soldier he corrected his mistake with dignity. Kudos to the general he is an upstanding man.

20 years as a Navy officer and I used Ma'am for any women who outranked me from O-1 through O-9 (never met a woman 4 star, so no O-10). I used it while on the Joint Staff with Army, AF and Marine senior and flag/general officers too. Also used it when briefing Congresswomen, Senators and Amabassadors as well as SES level civilians. No one ever had a problem with it.

I believe the proper term of address for the likes of Boxer is a word that rhymes with stunt.

These people have completely lost touch with whom they are supposed to be serving.

Barbara boxer has been a great senator in my opinion. She's served a long time the interests of the people who elect her- myself included. If you have any problem with that-take it up with the voters.

As for the white male landowner vote- wow is my initial response- my 2nd is read up on Jefferson's arguments for compulsory education- "Our democracy depends upon an informed constituency" - the motivation for education investment is that the vote would be diminished by the ignorant.

Probably rolling over in his grave at the likes of GWBush and palin.

As for this guys diatribe. It's the equivalent of a Jerry springer ghetto rant with a better vocabulary. no sources- no complaint other than a valid, albeit small rebuke-

California the laughing stock huh? It's the 6th largest economy in the world all by itself. It's a mess- but you still want us in the union. And the mess certainly isn't boxer's fault.

Again- a fantastic senator.

Latest resources

Back