Length of Service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

matchthehatch

Putting some facts together. Can you guys at both Delta-NW and UCAL furnish some information about the length of service given to furloughed pilots? I'm pretty sure Delta and Northwest guys got full credit of time furloughed for length of service, plain and simple. Any idea how many guys? What the costs were?

I have no idea what the United pilots received, if anything. Thanks all.

Putting some facts together. Can you guys at both Delta-NW and UCAL furnish some information about the length of service given to furloughed pilots? I'm pretty sure Delta and Northwest guys got full credit of time furloughed for length of service, plain and simple. Any idea how many guys? What the costs were?

I have no idea what the United pilots received, if anything. Thanks all.

Delta/NW furloughs got full furlough length of service until they bypassed. Then the time suspends until they returned. If no bypass, then no break. That was always in the DAL contract (didn't stop them from furloughing though) but NW furloughs inherited this when they merged with DAL.

I don't know the UCAL specifics, sorry.

All CAL pilots received full longevity credit for their furlough time as far as longevity for pay purposes. The UAL pilots received furlough credit equal to the junior CAL pilot prior to SLI and furlough credit equal to the CAL pilot just senior to them on the seniority list post SLI. Of course, if the UAL pilot's longevity was more than the CAL pilot senior to him/her, then you just keep the longevity you had already accrued.

Clear as mud?

All CAL pilots received full longevity credit for their furlough time as far as longevity for pay purposes. The UAL pilots received furlough credit equal to the junior CAL pilot prior to SLI and furlough credit equal to the CAL pilot just senior to them on the seniority list post SLI. Of course, if the UAL pilot's longevity was more than the CAL pilot senior to him/her, then you just keep the longevity you had already accrued.

Clear as mud?

Thanks! Just to be clear, a pilot's length of service, adjusted for time spent on furlough, did NOT factor into the SLI arbitration. Is that correct? In other words, as I understand it, the arbitrators (who factored in longevity with a weight of about 35%) did not consider a pilot's adjusted LOS when determining his/her seniority. I want to make sure that precedence wasn't set that might affect the AA/USAir SLI, as that panel's ruling may very well come into play.

Thanks! Just to be clear, a pilot's length of service, adjusted for time spent on furlough, did NOT factor into the SLI arbitration. Is that correct? In other words, as I understand it, the arbitrators (who factored in longevity with a weight of about 35%) did not consider a pilot's adjusted LOS when determining his/her seniority. I want to make sure that precedence wasn't set that might affect the AA/USAir SLI, as that panel's ruling may very well come into play.

The CAL/UAL SLI used the operational merger date of 2010. Basically, longevity was calculated on that date, furlough time was NOT included in the longevity calculation. In 2010 I had 3.5 years of service at CAL. The UAL pilot that ended up just senior to me had 7.5 years longevity and was currently on furlough (1999 hire).

By the time the list came out I was up to 7 years longevity and the UAL pilot still had 7.5 years longevity (still furloughed). The longevity I gained during our three year wait had no weight with the arbitrators because they used the seniority (and longevity) from 2010. I hope that helps.

The CAL/UAL SLI used the operational merger date of 2010. Basically, longevity was calculated on that date, furlough time was NOT included in the longevity calculation. In 2010 I had 3.5 years of service at CAL. The UAL pilot that ended up just senior to me had 7.5 years longevity and was currently on furlough (1999 hire).

By the time the list came out I was up to 7 years longevity and the UAL pilot still had 7.5 years longevity (still furloughed). The longevity I gained during our three year wait had no weight with the arbitrators because they used the seniority (and longevity) from 2010. I hope that helps.

It does help. Thanks!

Latest resources

Back