Leaving Comair - 1 Year Later

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F16Fixer,

One of the problems with the internet is you can't see someone's expression when they're typing.

Some of the posts that you perceive as bashing aren't intended as such. Obviously I have a strong opinion about things. -- Most of us do.

Sorry you felt that i'm a basher or a troll. No, I didn't find Jesus.

Just don't have anything to be opinionated about today.

You want a cookie Bender? A lot of us have left, but we don't need threads announcing said anniversaries.

Comair is stuck in some terrible times...the "it was a good decision to leave" mantra doesn't add anything but insult to their plight.

PositiveRate said:
You want a cookie Bender? A lot of us have left, but we don't need threads announcing said anniversaries.

Comair is stuck in some terrible times...the "it was a good decision to leave" mantra doesn't add anything but insult to their plight.

I disagree. I find it interesting to see what people are doing, why they left, what they are experiencing.

A thread on flightinfo doesn't insult anyone, as it is crystal clear what is going on in the airline business.

PositiveRate said:

Lighten up Francis....:rolleyes:

How about just saying, "Nice move for actually seeing the writing on the wall..."

That's the whole key to this business, getting them BEFORE they get you. Sometimes you're able to see it coming, sometimes not. I say good job for seeing it coming... I had a guy exactly like you tell me that I was crazy for leaving the airline business to go corporate back in 1999. Ironically that was about the same time we were getting our first jets at Chautauqua, and I still say that was about the time period when everything started going downhill. You know, when the outsourcing of major airline jobs began. If I were still there I'd be a EMB-170 Capt. flying 10 times the number of people making less money than I do now...

As for "their plight," I can only hope that this revelation that 50 seaters don't make any money will lead to major airline pilots getting some of their flying back. When I started connecting from one RJ to another, I knew we were all screwed.

Last edited:
my name isn't francis...(sarcasm)

I'm one of the ones who left...not sure if you caught that...I got very lucky...it had nothing to do with having great foresight, which is how I read the first post. It seems bold and a bit like kicking them when they're down to post about how leaving was a good move and celebrating the anniversary of the decision.

Sue me for having an opinion and being a Debbie Downer. I will admit this, though. Comair was a big break for me...it was a step back from the majors for him. That could account for a large difference in nostalgia for our former employer.

Left in Aug '04 for an aviation management job. Pay is great as are benefits (oil bidness). Make more than Flightinfo's most famous Comair supporter Gen. Lee, with one year on the job. No flying, just running the show.

Sometimes folks ask me if I ever wanted to fly for a living again. I say, "sure, if they let me blow stuff up again".

But the bottom line is that I didn't leave because I thought Comair was messed up, I left because I didn't enjoy the job (it was boring compared to military flying) and because I applied for and got hired at a job I found interesting and where the pay met my personal requirements. I enjoy the work, and I don't regret the move in the least.

Good luck to the folks back at Comair (and Delta).

When I walked out through the turnstyles in CVG for the last time I felt a huge relief and I never looked back on my decision.

I felt the same way... I really enjoyed my time at Comair but I walked out of the trailers for the last time with a big smile on my face.

I made the walk through of the mighty turnstyle in October of '04 to go back into corporate. I was offered a job out of the blue, flying less, making three times my FO pay, and no more commuting. I enjoyed the people at Comair and it was a good experience, but I hated being used and abused as a junior FO, but that is how the game is played when you have no senority. Now I would be close to if not getting the pink furlough slip if I were still there, so I most definately have no regrets for leaving or going there either. I do wish them all the luck, and even those Delta guys who are going to be bent over real soon by a bankruptcy judge.

I wonder if those of us who have left can offer assistance to any of those who will be getting furloughed?

My particular flight department is not hiring, but i'll certainly keep my ear to the ground and, if I hear anything, post that info here.

Latest resources

Back