Learjet 85

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LJ45

All new fully composite , including wings.. ??? Wow, no thanks for me.

What say you, can Learjet/Bombardier pull this off?

Will the 45 wing-rock be fixed before the LJ-85 is out?

Is this the way to go?

All new fully composite , including wings.. ??? Wow, no thanks for me.

What say you, can Learjet/Bombardier pull this off?

Will the 45 wing-rock be fixed before the LJ-85 is out?

Is this the way to go?

I think you're going to see more new all composite aircraft in the future. Take a look at Spectrum, the larger of their two planes is about the size of a LJ40 but with a somewhat roomier cabin. The airplane is all composite with an epmty weight around 5000 lbs.
Also look at Grob, who is also involved with Bombardier on the new Lear 85, I believe they are showing Bombardier how to do it as I remember reading. They have the Spn coming out late this year and it's composite.

Looks like Bombardier parted ways with Grob. But they are still committed to the program. I wonder how long that will set the program back?

Looks like Bombardier parted ways with Grob. But they are still committed to the program. I wonder how long that will set the program back?

This is a good reason and way for Bombarder to gracefully back out of the notion of all composite. I still think it is a big mistake for Bombardier to go all composite.

Let Boeing perfect it and get back to me in several years on how they did.

From AIN:

Bombardier Drops Grob from Learjet 85 Program

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bombardier has terminated its contract with Grob Aerospace AG of Switzerland to develop the composite structure for the Learjet 85. Grob’s German affiliate filed for insolvency on August 18. In a statement released this afternoon, Steve Ridolfi, president of Bombardier Business Aircraft, said, “Given the uncertainty surrounding Grob’s insolvency, Learjet has decided to terminate its agreement with Grob Aerospace, effective Sept. 17, 2008. Bombardier Aerospace is taking decisive action and this decision reflects our strong commitment to both the Learjet 85 aircraft program and to a growing number of leading business jet customers worldwide who have selected this exciting, all-new midsize business jet.” [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grob Aerospace GmbH filed for insolvency in Germany on August 18 after its main source of capital withdrew financial support for Grob’s new SPn light business jet program. Grob CEO Niall Olver said that the undisclosed investor had pulled out due to delays in the SPn certification program and resulting increases in the amount of money required to get the aircraft into service. Bombardier said it is assuming complete responsibility for the detail design and manufacturing of all primary and secondary structures for the eight-passenger Learjet 85. Grob issued the following statement reacting to Bombardier’s decision, “While this outcome is regrettable, it is a matter of fact that Bombardier needs to take whatever measures it deems necessary to protect the timeline of the program. The parties have agreed to cooperate and to jointly remove the Bombardier program from the Tussenhausen-Mattsies facility.”[/FONT]

Composite technology is awesome... I hope they can get it figured out as it would save a ton in weight, parts, and maintenance.

I think I would stretch the 60 a little and put the 45 Wing under it. I have heard they explored that Idea but had some issues with the tail being "Maxed out"

I thought on paper the 85 is awful close to competing with the CL-300.

There are still issues with composite aircraft that have yet to be figured out. One is moisture. I flew the Starship and the Premier and they both had moisture issues. Still having trouble with paint adhesion as well.

B&CA had a write up on the Learjet 85 a couple of months ago. The 85 appears to be much closer to the CL300 in terms of size, performance, and price when compared to the 60XR.

The article also alluded to the Learjet 85 eventually replacing the 60XR.

I think I would stretch the 60 a little and put the 45 Wing under it. I have heard they explored that Idea but had some issues with the tail being "Maxed out"

There are still issues with composite aircraft that have yet to be figured out. One is moisture. I flew the Starship and the Premier and they both had moisture issues. Still having trouble with paint adhesion as well.

how about just a bigger (fatter) fuselage on the 45. With the same systems, bigger fuselage tank, -50 or -60 engines and maybe same type rating. I guess that is too simple of an Idea.
:beer:

Latest resources

Back