Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
For you 45/40 folks, do you have trouble with seeing through the 45/40 windshield at night - that is - all lighting doubles up. In other words, you can see TWO runways while landing or taking off? I've noticed this since I started flying the bird over 700 hours ago. Today I only fly it about 5 hours a month and it seems to have gotten worse (I know the airplane doesn't change, so it must be my eyes).

I have never seen this on any other ship I've flown. I put about 30 hours a month on a Challenger and have absolutley zero issues with seeing this double-light effect in the CL. So, it has to be the Lear windshield - anyone else experience this phenomona in the Lear 45/40 and if so what have you done to compensate for it?

On that same note, if any of you wear contacts, what brand do you use (if you're happy witht them)? What brands have you found to be terrible?

AZT

The lear 24, 35, and 60 all do the same thing. I would be interested to hear if there is anything corrective to do also.

I fly a 31 and have the same problem. Just aim for the runway in the middle.

I wear Acuvue Oasys, and have been very happy with them for a year now.

I never noticed it in the LR 35, however, I do recall in the LR 45 having a blurring issue. Not so much double vision, if you will, but just a distortion. If I remember correctly (it's been a while) it was due to windshield heat. When the heat is on, it distorts the vision....turn it off on final (if it is not a limitation to have it on....and, oviously, if you don't need it) and see if it gets better....then let us all know!

Last edited:
move you head or lean closer to the center post on landing and you can find a good spot where the glass is flatter and has less of the double light problems. Sounds silly, but it works try it...

I seem to make better landings at night, when I can't see as good ;-)

I have about 300 hours in the 40 and 45 and I never noticed this. I will ask some buddies if they noticed anything.

The C-21A (LR-35A) had that issue at night. When I was in the C-21A qualification course at the 1375th at Scott AFB they told us to just land on the middle runway.

GV

I have about 300 hours in the 40 and 45 and I never noticed this. I will ask some buddies if they noticed anything.

Night time, center line lighting up bright, and rain are the worst conditions to see double lights.

Latest resources

Back