Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

414Flyer

Down with Chemtrails!
I might be training soon for a Lear job, and would be going to training first for a type rating.

The biggest I have flown so far is a C-414 which is what I currently do now.

Any thoughts on comparing Flightsafety and Simcom (Pan Am Flight academy). Is the type rating a real bear, or is it some thing that an average 2000ish hour pilot can accomplish with hard work and study?

Thanks

LRjet Type

Don't sweat the type for the Lear. If you go to Flight Safety, they will ensure you learn all you need to know to get through it quite painlessly. Of course you'll have to study a lot when your out of class, and it will help if you get a training manual prior and start studying the limitations and checklist memory items.

I got my type in LRjet a few years ago my first time out. I only had about 1400tt with only 250multi. Just make sure your flight dept. sends you to initial training (about 13 days) and not to reccurent (5days). My dept. used to send everyone to reccurent to save money and if you didn't cut it you were out.

I am not familiar with Simcom, but Flight Safety is the leader in sim based training today and I have been to all the different centers (Atlanta, Tucson, West Palm) and must say they are all outstanding.
Good Luck

Joe,

I have done Simcom, FSI and Sumiflite over the years in the Lear. I have always found FSI the best out there. While Simcom is the price leader, The last two 135 operators I worked for removed them from their Operations Specifications. The main reasons were the sim quality and quality of the instruction. There were also issues about the instructors talking about a student in front of the student in Spanish.

As for FSI, I have done Wichita and Tucson. I much prefer Wichita. It is a smaller facility with more individual attention and the instructors are home steaders. In short they have all been there for years if not decades, so they do know the aircraft rather well. Also I prefer to send my people for initial to Wichita so they can see the factory. It is kind of neat to see how they are made.

With your time you should have much of a problem. But you will have to study. If you can get an a/c manual or FSI book on the aircraft so you can study ahead, do so. It will help.

Be prepared for preformance problems. You wil get several of them. The systems are straight forward but with a few little quirks. In the sim, do try to rush. Use your sim partner. Unless the manuver requires it, there is no reason to go faster than about 200 to 220 kts. You will need to act quickly during some phases of flight. You didn't say which model. The 20's will overspeed in the climb at FL410. In the sim after I pull the flaps after TO, I will pull the power back to 90 - 92% RPM unless I have an unrestricted climb to an altitude above 12,000 ft. A note to remember, you need to think in the area of 8 miles a minute. If you can't think that fast you will get behind the aircraft.

If you have another questions, PM me.

Good luck.

FSI Costs

What does the initial (13 day) Lear 25/35/55 type cost at Wichita. I've got 400 TT SIC in the 25/35/55, but am not currently flying the bird. Thought I might go get the type.

Check Six

FSi

First the 25, 35 and 55 are different programs and have different costs. It is my understanding that since Wichita and Tucson are under the same manager the costs are the same. Six, since you have time in the aircraft, FSI might so your type as an extended recurrent. that will save you some money.

I did the Simu-Flite Lear 25 initial about 3 years ago.

It was an eye opener since I was coming out of a BE-18 and never had flown a jet before, but it is definitely managable.

Lets put it this way, I was glad to be out there for the 2 week class. Its like drinking from a fire hose but as long as you keep up you will do fine, keep up with the studying and books is what you really need to keep up with.

As far as the sim, if you keep the nose pointed in the right direction and its a snap. Obviously you have to get used to the speeds if you have no jet time. What I found that works was, if you are going approaches, keep flaps 8 or 10 out dependant on what airplane you are flying and do about 185kts around the airport, vectoring for approaches, single engine work, it really gives you time to settle down and digest what is going on. There is no need to be out there running checklists, setting up approaches and dealing with everything else at 220 kts, the speed will get away from you in a hurry, single engine too.

Single engine is no problem, you secure the engine, trim it out and its a breeze to fly.

Good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back