Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JettBoii

Precision or non-precision.

Op Spec C072 says it is a non precision for air carriers. It is a precision like non precision approach.

What about for 135/91?

Thanks

I think it is a NP, and my reasoning, is I would have to maneuver the aircraft from the LDA course to align with the runway.....only my opinion

In FAA ultra-confusing-legalese terminology, it is considered a non-precision approach with vertical guidance.

AIM 5-4-5
(a) Precision Approach (PA). An instrument approach based on a navigation system that provides course and glidepath deviation information meeting the precision standards of ICAO Annex 10. For example, PAR, ILS, and GLS are precision approaches.

(b) Approach with Vertical Guidance (APV). An instrument approach based on a navigation system that is not required to meet the precision approach standards of ICAO Annex 10 but provides course and glidepath deviation information. For example, Baro-VNAV, LDA with glidepath, LNAV/VNAV and LPV are APV approaches.

(c) Nonprecision Approach (NPA). An instrument approach based on a navigation system which provides course deviation information, but no glidepath deviation information. For example, VOR, NDB and LNAV. As noted in subparagraph h, Vertical Descent Angle (VDA) on Nonprecision Approaches, some approach procedures may provide a Vertical Descent Angle as an aid in flying a stabilized approach, without requiring its use in order to fly the procedure. This does not make the approach an APV procedure, since it must still be flown to an MDA and has not been evaluated with a glidepath.

So it's really neither. It's an APV (approach with vertical
Guidance. There are now 3 categories.

For what it's worth my company logs LDA's the same as an ILS. Perhaps this is due to the vertical guidance that is provided, perhaps this is due to the fact that the B.A.R.T. software that we use for crew and aircraft activity logs considers them the same.

I checked my company FOM and it is considered a "precision like non-precision aproach".

Going with non-precision.

Thanks Guys

LDA/GS is definately a non-precision approach.

Far 1.1:
Precision approach procedure means a standard instrument approach procedure in which an electronic glide slope is provided, such as ILS and PAR.

But the AIM defining it as Approach with vertical guidance (APV).

But Opps specs define it as a non-precision.

Our op specs call it a precision like approach

Latest resources

Back