LAX Job Fair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chrtrplt

I am considering driving up to LAX for the Air Inc. job fair tomorrow and would like any feedback from people who have been there, done that. Did you find it helpful? Worth the $? How long did you stay at the fair and were lines at each recruiter a long wait? Besides meeting with recruiters, was the rest of the days events informative and worth getting there early for?

Thanks for the info!

Nope

I know some swear by Air, Inc. seminars (esp. Kit Darby), but it was a waste for me a little over a year ago.
  • SWA wasn't there (big factor).
  • jetBlue wasn't there
  • I interviewed at AirTran a few months later, and asked what got me the interview. When I asked if Air, Inc. was a factor, their response was, "You were at an Air, Inc. seminar?"
  • NetJets was my only score (good job for me) from this seminar, but I decided to seek other employment
  • America West was the only other reason I was there, and of course they stopped hiring shortly after...
If you don't know how to write a resume, I guess Air, Inc. can help. There are better ways IMHO to prepare for the job search, like reading Checklist for Success by Cheryl Cage, wading through the stuff on flightinfo (seriously), and conferring with collegues in the industry.

I went to two of them about 5-6 years ago and thought they were pretty good.

This is not meant as flame-bait:
Back in the day, everyone was in line at DAL, AAL, and UAL. The SWA table was practically empty. So, I walked over and hung out with some folks from the people department for about 20 minutes. Lo and behold, I go to my SWA interview about 5 months later and my interviewer was the lady I had met. I said, "Hey, I met you at the airline seminar!" She didn't remember me, but it was still a good way to start things out.

You never know what contact you might make.

Yea, and when you get an interview, tell them you were the guy with the blue suit and short hair. That will really make you stand out in that crowd. Seriously though, kind of a joke. Everyone looks the same and is selling the same thing. If you really want to be remembered, I reccomend wearing a powder blue or orange tux with tails and top hat (ala Dumb and Dumber).

Dont waste your money, there are a lot of other ways to get an interview.

It is true that there are alot of other ways to get an interview- including the most popular way of networking with your buddies that work at the desired airline. However, depending on your experience and back ground, it is possible to get an interview by going to an AirInc job fair although you are not gauranteed anything. Plus, any money that you spend looking for a new job is tax deductible!

Spend the money and take a chance or forever wonder what may have happened had you attended one of these fairs. Just my opinion.

Formula 1

Do a search under Air Inc you will get the good the bad and the ulgy. Everyone should go once, I wish they would have had these when I left the Navy back in 1977.

Paul McCartney said:
Honest question:
Do you have to be black to join OBAPS?

No.
However there are different categories of membership according to the website. If you are an air carrier pilot you qualify for full membership. If not there is an associate membership. I have a friend who does some volunteer work for OBAP.

http://obap.org/JoinOBAP/default.asp

chrtrplt said:
I am considering driving up to LAX for the Air Inc. job fair tomorrow and would like any feedback from people who have been there, done that. Did you find it helpful? Worth the $? How long did you stay at the fair and were lines at each recruiter a long wait? Besides meeting with recruiters, was the rest of the days events informative and worth getting there early for?

Thanks for the info!

Chrtplt, those are really good questions and I would have to say hell yes to all of them. Air Inc is by far the best dollar spent for several reasons: Face to face time with Major airline recruiters; an excellent place to meet other pilots and network; plus it is possible to be hired on the spot. I believ Airtran is hiring on the spot!

Another kudo to these job fairs is the cities they are located in. I am going to the LAX job fair for the excitement of the city and not just the networking at the job fair. Ty Webb, Fletch 717, EagleFlipp, and myself are all hooking up this weekend after the fair in West Hollywood, partying it up and catching up on lost time. If you need a place to crash I've got extra space in my West Hollywood hotel room. I like to meet new people. Hope to see ya there!!!

Latest resources

Back