• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lateral Move???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been with Netjets for 21 months now, and I am still approx 90 pilots away from holding an Ultra on Encore. I think it may take another 6 months or so...depending on bids to upgrade. If I held out for the XL or something else, I am still about 200-300 from upgrading (Maybe another year or so).

I wouldn't consider going to a fractional as a sideways move in careers. I see it as a step up, and a place where you can spend a career. Considering the way major airlines go through their hiring and furlough cycles ever 10 years or so, the fractionals are a stable place to be. The pay is good (in my opinion), the time off is a lot better than the airlines, and the benefits and perks here can't be found any where else. You would also be able to fly new aircraft all over the country, and even the world (if you fly our bigger stuff).

I am a furloughed airline guy like many others at the fractionals and I have no plans at this time to ever return. I miss my jump seating, but it's not worth giving up this job to get that back. Plus, at our company (NetJets) we could ride in the back on the repo flights, although I wouldn't plan a vacation around doing it. I think the grass is greener on this side of the fence.

YEAR 6 NJA Captain and my W2 says 130K and change! Yea, it's a lateral move!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Stay with the regionals dipsh$t!!

lol

YEAR 6 NJA Captain and my W2 says 130K and change! Yea, it's a lateral move!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Stay with the regionals dipsh$t!!

lol
I apologize to everyone for my fellow employee's lack of class. Most of us (NJAers) are not like this guy.

well folks, i think ive founf my final resting place :) fractional it is lol

It wasn't very long ago that the fracs were looked down upon for lowering the bar for pilot pay/work rules etc. Amazing what a good contract can do to change things around. Congrats on that. The company I work for now buys me a positive space ticket to get to where the airplane is and then back home so I spend a lot of time commercialing around the globe. I can see why individuals and companies who can afford it go with corporate/fractional/charter vs. the hassle of commercial airlines.

I don't think there's any doubt that there will be growing demand for private jet travel. My question is: Is the business model for the fracs sustainable? It seems everything is fine as long as new sales are strong but what happens if new sales stagnate? At any rate, seems like you frac guys have a good thing going now. I hope it lasts. I've done commuter flying (back before they called them regionals) majors (furloughed, but recalls are starting!), then worked corporate and Part 135 Lears and now long haul ACMI. I enjoyed the corporate Lear flying which I suppose would be the closest to fractional work. I left for higher pay. However, if the pay and work rules at the places like Netjets continue the trend they're on now, it sounds like a much better place to be than regional, pt. 135, some corporate and even many "major" companies.

That 130K is semi junior captain pay, (reserve sched with 4 years seniority) when you have 10 years or more seniority your base will be 130K on the 18 day schedule or 110K on the 7 day sched. There are 12 year seniority pilots flying capt on the Falcon 2000 Easy with a gaurantee base pay of 154K and that's just base pay, they get $1,060. for each holiday or extended day worked, $90. for each hour of overtime, basically those guys are making 200K or more a year, and there are more DA-2Easy on the way, the rest of the Falcons will be class 4 pay:

CLASS 4 CAPTAIN
Years in Program....7 on/7 off ...........18 day RESERVE
1 .......................$120,000 ..............$142,418
2 .......................$124,500 ..............$147,758
3 .......................$129,169 ..............$153,299
4 .......................$134,013 ..............$159,048
5 .......................$139,038 ..............$165,012
6 .......................$144,252 ..............$171,200
7 .......................$149,661 ..............$177,620
8 .......................$155,274 ..............$184,281
9 .......................$161,096 ..............$191,191
10 .....................$167,138 ..............$198,361
11+ ...........+2.5% OR COLA WHICHEVER IS LESS

Also after 10 years you get a 3 weeks vacation 4 times a year.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back