Laser Surgery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hoodabundy

I know this should be under medical, but that area doesnt get a lot of views, so here it is. Do the airlines care if you have had laser surgery on your eyes. I am thinking about it but dont want to risk losing a job because of it. Any thoughts???? Does the FAA Doc's have the final say???

I just had Lasik eye surgery done on both eyes and went from 20/70 to 20/20 within two days. I retired three years ago so haven't needed my physical even though it is still good as a 2nd class, about to go to 3rd class so thought I would wait until 3 months after surgery to make sure they are stable then have my doctor complete the FAA form 8500-7 which I got a copy of over the internet. I believe you just go to FAA.gov then forms. You can call the FAA medical at 800 699 4457 to find out the latest. Most of what I have read says you either send in the form or just take another physical which in my case will no longer require glasses for far vision. Night vision glare sometimes causes problems for a while up to a year or so where you see halos around headlights, etc. I have a mild case which should go away. Good luck.

Night vison

I considered having the procedure done, but I have heard from several people that they experienced loss of night vision. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar side effect or knows of someone who has.

If you ever plan on working for a Japanese airline (JAL, NCA, ANA, etc.) you will not pass the JCAB medical. There might be other foreign airlines that have this requirement also, I don't know.

What about LASIK surgery?
LASIK is not an approved procedure for pilots licensed in Japan. If you have had LASIK surgery it is an automatic disqualifier for the medical license.

It takes 30 seconds per eye. One minute of your life for good vision. No pain. I did it and wish I had done it years ago. Everybody else who has had it done feels the same way.

Latest resources

Back