• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
Advice Needed:

I'm looking to move from company "A" to company "B" on the same field. The duties are simliar at each company except for equipment and position (PIC to SIC). The "new" company is the most reputable on the field.

I interviewed and sent follow-up thankyou letters last week. I wouldn't otherwise be in such a "rush" except that I want to give my current company at least 2 weeks notice. The "new" class date is only a few weeks away (if they hire me) In addition, I believe the "new" company wants to fill the position quickly.

Some "insiders" have made recommendation phone calls (they volunteered, I didn't ask them to). I've sent a follow-up e-mail early this week to the "new" company emphasizing my desire to fill their position. I want the "new" company to know that I am the right guy for this job - but I'm out of ideas on how to prove it without seeming overbearing and desperate (and I'm not desperate for this position - I just know I would be the best pick for the job).

What has worked for you in going above and beyond to prove you are the right person for a flying position? Thanks in advance!

AZT

Enthusiasm. If you are indeed very interested in this company, show it--if you get a follow-up interview.

What can you provide them besides flying skills? Are your customer service skills excellent? Can you work the dispatch desk? Are you able to help compile tech manuals and reports? Give them something that no one else has so far.

Sounds like you've done everything that you can do at this point. Be careful that you don't make a pest of yourself. Chief pilots and directors of ops. are busy people.

Good luck.

westshan,

Thanks! I am interested in this company. I'm happy at my current gig, but this company is better when looking long-term into the future. It's the type of place a pilot could stay for many years. I did emphasize the other things I can bring to them outside of flying skills. At this level, I think it's a given that you can fly an airplane and pass a type ride. It's the other things that I think make this job - attention to detail, reliability, etc. I know what you mean about being a pest - it's a fine line between the pestering and following up sometimes, especially when you don't know the decision makers well. Thanks for the input - it's very much appreciated.

AZT

Can I have the job you're leaving?;) Assuming it's in AZ, of course, I'm trying to get back to Phoenix, ATP, 1800TT, 500 ME, 100 Turbine!!

Thanks!

TDK90 said:
Can I have the job you're leaving?;) Assuming it's in AZ, of course, I'm trying to get back to Phoenix, ATP, 1800TT, 500 ME, 100 Turbine!!

Thanks!

TDK, better check AZ's current position (W87 34', N48 16') on your charts. It sure as hell ain't anywhere near AZ!

Latest resources

Back