Landing rules for RW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

What does it take to operate a helicopter from your private house? I believe I once read somewhere that as long as your 500' from your nearest neighbor your ok to land?

there are no guidelines/rules for helicopter to remain clear of terrain - at least no federal rules. You can fly at any altitude you feel is safe enough for an auto rotation should an emergeny occur. The 500' rule applies to all aircraft, with the exception of (d) helicopters. 91.119 only says don't cause no hazard to persons or property on the ground.

The problem you will run into is local laws. Most cities prohibit such landings, unless you get an exception or something. The most common law prohibiting such activity is noise laws. And if you get caught breaking that law, all you will get is a citation for breaking such law.

Noise laws usually don't exist out in rural areas and you can land without a problem in your backyard - i've done it. A neighbor was a lawyer, who wasn't pleased with me landing there, but she knew there was nothing she could do against it.

Basically, the FAA doesn't care and they don't regulate that activity. Check your local laws and don't piss of your neighbors and you shouldn't have a problem. Offer free rides once in a while and you will keep everyone happy :)

Last edited:
mattpilot said:
there are no guidelines/rules for helicopter to remain clear of terrain - at least no federal rules. You can fly at any altitude you feel is safe enough for an auto rotation should an emergeny occur. The 500' rule applies to all aircraft, with the exception of (d) helicopters. 91.119 only says don't cause no hazard to persons or property on the ground.

The problem you will run into is local laws. Most cities prohibit such landings, unless you get an exception or something. The most common law prohibiting such activity is noise laws. And if you get caught breaking that law, all you will get is a citation for breaking such law.

Noise laws usually don't exist out in rural areas and you can land without a problem in your backyard - i've done it. A neighbor was a lawyer, who wasn't pleased with me landing there, but she knew there was nothing she could do against it.

Basically, the FAA doesn't care and they don't regulate that activity. Check your local laws and don't piss of your neighbors and you shouldn't have a problem. Offer free rides once in a while and you will keep everyone happy :)

Thanks for the info matt. The 500' i mentioned was lateraly. I will check on the local rules.

cougar6903 said:
Thanks for the info matt. The 500' i mentioned was lateraly. I will check on the local rules.

no prob...

You are referring to 91.119, right?

It says you must keep at least 500' distance from any object - either vertical or lateral (or both ;)). Paragraph (d) lists the exception for helo's.

Latest resources

Back