KTRK jet ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DA10

May have a trip into KTRK (Truckee). Looks like a challenging airport. Anyone familiar with it got any advise for flying into/out of the airport?

Come in from the North. Watch out for mountains on the East, South and West side. Airport sits in a bowl. I would follow the IAPs even in good wx. One of the more dangerous airports I've flown into and deserves respect. I don't think they had deicing capabilities last time I was in; they relied on solar deicing. Maybe that's changed now.

I was there a few days ago on a sunny afternoon. We followed the VFR arrival and departure procedure. Downwind and base are REAL close to terrain. I wouldnt go unless the conditions are in your favor. Be safe

I went in a couple years ago. When I got there, the ASOS had a temp restriction that further shortened the already shortened by NOTAM runway. Surprise!

Come in from the North. Watch out for mountains on the East, South and West side. Airport sits in a bowl. I would follow the IAPs even in good wx. One of the more dangerous airports I've flown into and deserves respect. I don't think they had deicing capabilities last time I was in; they relied on solar deicing. Maybe that's changed now.

ditto!
Have your sh#t together! Be on speed and fly your own aircrafts profile by the numbers for the circle to land and you will be fine. Just dont be complacent and you wont get hurt, otherwise just another airport.

No de-ice, no GPU.

Be prepared to divert to KRNO (30 min away by ground transport).

I grew up and hour from TRK and used to do mountain checkouts there as a CFI and still fly turbine planes in a few times a year. Last I heard they finally got some hanger facilities to help with the ice problem but still don't have deice. I actually really enjoy it as an overnight - depends on your hobbies though I suppose. PM me with any specific questions.

Latest resources

Back