• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

King Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Haha, that was not a problem with the aircraft itself. It was a problem with the MX that worked on the plane.

It attests to the safety of the airplane that half the elevator departed but the plane flew still.

Can anyone explain the operating cost difference between a typical king air and a small fleet jet. A Cessna ultra or something similar. I'm assuming this is the reason you don't see king airs in this business.

I know the PT-6's in the 90's I flew burned about 600# and hour at lower altitudes and maybe 450-500#/ hr in the flight levels...... Cruised at maybe 210-215 indicated down low, and maybe 170-180 at FL200 (roughly)

Climbed at maybe 1500 ft/min up to 10,000' and reduced to maybe 700-1000 ft/min up higher...

Again it was only the C-90A/B models, so a 200 or 300 is definitely a lot better... Overall I wasn't that impressed with the speed of the 90's.....But it was a good work horse, I never had a problem in 1000 hrs....

One thing I noticed about the 90's also was that the brakes were pretty weak.... Although just based on it's 100-110 knt REF, it could get into some shorter fields, the brakes didn't do all that well getting the plane stopped really short.

I think maybe for the typical amount it costs to charter a King Air, people wouldn't be willing to buy into it as a Fractional a/c. King Air's are relatively expensive to buy... I think you could buy a smaller Citation for almost the same price as a new King Air. (could be wrong, I've never really compared the $$)

Latest resources

Back