Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tarp

I've asked, I've read, I've searched.

And so far no one has given me a satisfactory answer.

So, the little disk at the back, right side near the static ports.....i.e. the ELT arm button.

The answers I've gotten so far are:

1.) Just push it in.
2.) Push it in and "feel around" for a little toggle switch.
3.) Don't screw with it - like draining the fuel sumps - all you are asking for is more trouble than it's worth.

In response, I have noted the following:

1.) Just pushing it in does nothing that I can tell - there is no resistance, no click, nothing except that I can see the faint aviation orange color of the ELT when I depress the button.

2.) Push in and try to "feel" for a switch - not with my fat fingers. The "button" doesn't move more than about 1.0-1.5cm - something tells me this isn't a legit answer. (And if there is a toggle switch, then the question asks - well then which is the arm position? - every ELT I've seen has an OFF-ARM-ON three way switch - front to back, back to front, right to left, top to bottom?)

3.) Seems to be the only process that works. But it really doesnt sit well with my Adult Attention Deficiency Syndrome - i.e. like a loud clock ticking in the background, I shouldn't pay it any attention yet I want to scream at the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing.

So any 90 'experts' out there? It's on the pre-flight checklist - it says "ELT... Arm" - and I have no optional switch in the cockpit - that thing has loads of instructions if the option is installed.

Oh yeah, this is after reading the Raytheon manual from cover to cover, going to Simcom and reading their manual and asking instructors and asking around company. And I've got Security Clearances as long as my arm - top secret, eyes only, 'Q' - but I can't get the inside scoop on the ELT arm button!

I'm thinking of nighttime espionage with a screwdriver, but my boss would kill me if he caught me with a screwdriver anywhere near his airplane. Oh and we remote our maintenance to a Beechcraft approved facility - where we are based, the mechanics look at the plane and go "turbine, never seen one of those before".

Never look in a 90, but in the b-100 I flew I could never get to the elt that way either. And if you have a Narco elt, the thing is cocked kind of funny anyway, so fat fingers just won't make it. And mine were. If I needed to check I'd just open up the hell hole right below the fusalage and look in there. Easy to do, about 12 1/4 turn screws and the door opens. Would be good for you to look in there every once in a while, the 02 bottle and trim actuators as well as the ADF and radar altimeter boxes are there. Just tell the boss your doing a real good preflight, and want to make sure that stuff is secure. And, an added bonus, you can see the outflow valves, see how much smoky goo is around them.

Have fun, but don't let some wize guy close you in!!

I don't have any time in a King 90, but if the ELTs are setup the same as the Duchess, we had to poke our fingers in there and felt for the same toggle switch. We had a diagram on the outside of the aircraft that corrolated the switch position with ARM and OFF, I think??

Tarp- Good question. If there's something on the checklist that doesn't make sense, get an answer.

In the BE20 the ELT is just like the Duchess (actually, the whole plane is just like a BIG Duchess). That item on the checklist used to drive me crazy. Not one of our "Instructor Pilots"...hold on, the thought of those guys "teaching" still makes me laugh... could explain it. I finally had mx remove the panels so I could stick my head in there and see the switch. All 8 or so of the King Airs I've flown had an ON-ARM-OFF rocker switch.

From the 90 Maintenance Manual 25-60-00:
Emergency - Description And Operation (LJ-548 and After; LW-1 and After)

Emergency Locator Transmitter
Airplane serials LJ-548 and After and LW-1 and After are equipped with an emergency locator transmitter (ELT) to assist in the tracking and recovery of the airplane and crew in the event of a crash or an emergency landing. Airplane serials LJ-548 thru LJ-901 and LW-1 thru LW-333 are equipped with Collins/Communications Components Corporation ELTs. Narco ELTs are installed on airplane serials LJ-902 and After, on LW-334 and After and on earlier airplanes equipped with Kit No. 101-3046-1. The Artex C406-2 ELT’s are installed on airplanes LJ-1404 and After and prior earlier airplanes with Kit No. 90-3402-1 or -3 installed.

The ELT is mounted in the right side of the aft fuselage at approximately FS 340.00. An antenna is located on top of the aft fuselage at approximately FS 352.00, and an access hole with a spring loaded cover is located in the right aft fuselage skin adjacent to the transmitter providing access for manual activation of the ELT.

The output frequencies are 121.5 and 243.0 MHz, simultaneously. Range is approximately line of sight. The ARM-OFF-ON switch is located on the transmitter, and controls the operation of the set. The ON position turns the set on for testing, and the ARM position actuates the set operate automatically upon impact. A reset switch, located on the forward end of the transmitter, resets the transmitter to the ARM position in the event the impact switch is accidentally triggered. Airplane serials LJ-819 thru LJ-901, LW-317 thru LW-333 and earlier airplanes with Kit No. 101-3039-1 installed have a remote REARM-ARM-XMIT switch located adjacent to the ELT in the aft fuselage. The XMIT position turns the set on for testing and the ARM position actuates the set to operate automatically upon impact. The REARM position resets the transmitter to the ARM position in the event the impact switch is accidentally triggered. An optional installation that locates a remote switch, placarded ARM-XMIT, on the instrument panel is available for airplanes serials LJ-902 and After and LW-334 and After. Airplanes with Kit No. 101-3046-1 installed have a remote switch, placarded ARM-XMIT, located adjacent to the ELT in the aft fuselage. The remote ARM-XMIT switch is a momentary switch that enables manual activation of the ELT for testing while the unit is in the airplane.

The Artex C406-2 ELT’s also transmits an additional frequency of 406.025, which is used by orbiting satellites to assist in determining airplane location. This activation is independent of the remote switch setting or availability of airplane power.

Thanks mike1 for the "official" stuff although it still leaves me asking well what does this switch look like and which way would I move it?

So I think Hung has the best answer which is where I was going if I couldn't find help.

Screwdriver, check.
Flashlight, check.
Nightwatchman, asleep.

I'm going in!

Will report my findings when I get some quality time alone with the airplane late at night and out of sight of the "owner". <Insert evil laugh here>.

Tarp:

If you find Jimmy Hoffa in there, send him over to the Fractional board. I think they need him.

Have fun!

If I recall from my C90 preflight days, you push in on the spring loaded door with your finger, and the switch you bump into should be in the AFT position.

If you actually want to see what is going on, just drop the hatch on the bottom of the plane that's right at this location and stick your head up there.

I always did that with new-hires so they at least knew what was back there.

You should too.

Latest resources

Back