Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Ok, so our trip to the Bahama's got cancled....we decided we didnt wanna mess with the paperwork (Actually i didnt, my co-pilots did. Anyway, we decided that we would go to Key West instead. Anyone been there? Reccomend an airport? Things to do, places to stay???? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Not that many choices on airports in Keywest(2) and one is Naval Station so dont reccommend landing there. That is a fun trip am sure you will enjoy

you dont' really have an airport choice.

KEYW is your only option. Flew in there many times.
not the nicest field but it gets the job done. Watch out for the 15000 foot ballons !!!

I'd recommend the Bahamas, but if you like drinking till you puke and buying T-shirts then Key West is for you. Lots of places to stay, eat and drink, but also alot of dives and of course alot of flamers. The available beaches aren't that good. If you want water sports there are some rental activities on the south beach (closest to the airport), but if you want snorkeling or diving you will have to go out on a boat. The paperwork is not that bad going to the Bahamas. Of course food, drink, and lodging may be a little pricey for you. Coming back to the US, Customs wants to see all the Ts and Is crossed but it is not that bad. Get the Pilot's Bahama and Caribbean Aviation Guide. For KEYW, be aware of Part 99 areas/requirements (flight plan required). Also alot of Navy jets and slow and low sightseeing planes.

Key West is a haven for gay activity. Also, if you land there after 8pm, and need fuel, you have to call a guy from his house, and it is a $25 fee.

cvsfly summed it up well, the Bahamas is cake though, not a big deal.

The Bahamas is a rip-off though, very expensive on the out islands.

Bahamas is actually fairly easy to go to and from to.

About Key West Though. The Airport is fine its just like any other small airport its very easy to get in and out of.
The Key West airport is about 2 to 3 miles to the west of the Navy base. Its kind of hard to confuse one with the other however there are some morons that have done it. The navy base has 3 runways at least 8,000ft or so each, in a crisscross pattern. Key West (EYW) about 3miles to the west, is a single 4,600ft runway 9-27.
If your coming down the west coast of Florida, Its about 180 degrees and 89miles from Naples (APF) (the Cypress VOR CYY). Most of the single engine planes will go to Marathon Key (MTH) first, then on to Key West (it will keep you closer to land). If you follow the keys into key west and are VFR stay on the south side of the island and contact Key west Approach over Marathon its Actually the Navy running approach.
If you are coming down the west coast The airway will take you direct to the keywest vor about 3 miles NW of the Field and it will keep you clear of the Blimp on a wire done there, if the MOA out in the Gulf is active the 2nd airway will keep you just slightly east of the direct route still clear of anything.
I have flown into Key West at least 500 times in 402's with the airline i flew for. If you have anyother questions about either, PM me.

Last edited:
just got back from there

I actually don't like Key West, too "touristy" for me. We flew into MTH - Marathon "Florida Keys" Airport (Grantair is now "Marathon Jet Center" - still the same friendly folks), rented a car, and stayed a couple of islands up in Islamorada at the Hampton Inn. Couldnt have asked for a better vacation. MTH is an awesome little airport, 5000 foot runway, and plenty of space for tiedowns etc (unlike EYW). Easy day trips up to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Marco Island, Naples, and Ft. Myers, etc. Islamorada is like being in the Bahamas, but staying in the U.S. (money, health care, no customs, etc etc etc). Message me if u want more info.

Latest resources

Back