Kalitta Air Information

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IAflyer,

Seems like a nice hotel, certainly better than the Regal Kowloon you guys used to stay at.

While overseas many people use phone cards bought locally. I use a worldwide phone card that I bought on the internet. It makes it a little easier than carrying around a stack of phone cards. It has a variable rate depending upon where your calling from. It works just about everywhere except the Middle East. Those countries have their communication industries locked up solid. While in Hong Kong I usually use the "Pig Card". It's rate is even cheaper than that of my worldwide phone card which is pretty cheap in it's own right. You can get the "Pig Card" in a little shop near the Mariner's Club in Kowloon TST.

Per diem rates (were I work it's $2.00 an hour domestic & international) are not that high compared to business people whose rates are near astronomical in comparison. $48.00 a day is liveable except in Europe where you get beat up with the exchange rate on the Euro, and the fact that they charge for everything there and it is very expensive. I am waiting for a breathing tax to be put in place there!

Take Care & Good Luck To Us All!

The average weight gain because of all the food that is available is about one pound per month.

After 2 years on the line you should be on average 24 pounds over weight, or heavier than you were at at your new hire class.

Myself as an example, weight at my new hire class April 2004, 180 pounds. Weight now after 10 months on the line, 195!

Last edited:
So What is the real skinny on pay and sked?

Is most everyone right at guarantee or do you make more than 65 hrs / mo with trip rigs or actual flying (without selling off all your days off) ? Also - is it mostly reserve, and if so is reserve at home or in YIP (or wherever) ?

For sked, do you go out for a 10-14 day trip a month and then you're home for a bit, or is it like 25 days on the road followed by 5 whole days off before you go back out again?.
Thanks -

GZ

Thanks for the info thus far. Also wondering about trip rig and guarantee questions that George had. Does anyone think that taking a drive over to YIP and delivering a resume in person would be worth the effort, or do they frown on people that do this?

I also heard that YIP is technically the only crew base. Are pilots required to start and end the monthly tour from there, or is there alot of comercializing from your home city? Can you sit reserve at your home city? and what is the call time out like?

Last edited:
It's 17 days ON. And you're not likely to see home for that long. Others who are actually online will be able to tell you more.... Other than I think two lines there really is no reserve, everyone has a "line" but it changes quite a bit. What you can count on is flying around the world a few times in 17 days. Iaflyer, CWI, Nosewheel and others may be able to chime in and verify this... again, I'm still in training.

Walking my resume in to the main office is how I got my interview. Its not frowned on at all.

Kind of off the subject here, but I've noticed that while talking about Kalitta, people mention Connie. Is that the owners wife or something? just curious.

Sol Rosenberg said:
Kind of off the subject here, but I've noticed that while talking about Kalitta, people mention Connie. Is that the owners wife or something? just curious.

Hehehe... Connie like Xfr8dog said, he's the owner of the company. Connie is also the callsign for Kalitta Air. Since Kalitta Air is a reincarnation of previous companies, it's just easier to called it "Connie".

Connie is a unique individual, but very successful. He is also heavily involved in top fuel dragsters. He used to drive them, now he just is owns several teams and crews too. (I probably have some of that wrong - I don't follow NHRA).

ialyer

iaflyer said:
He is also heavily involved in top fuel dragsters. He used to drive them, now he just is owns several teams and crews too. (I probably have some of that wrong - I don't follow NHRA).

Having never seen the real Connie, I can't help but think he looks like Beau Bridges and likes to pop Anthony Edwards in the mouth. :D

Latest resources

Back