Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

K&S or HPA, any thoughts or advice regarding 737 type?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Guam360

spam and rice please
Anyone have general opinions or advice to either school for 737 type rating?

Thanks

I recommend K & S ask for Michael Sturgis.....AWSOME INSTRUCTOR!!!!!!!!! Everyone else is really nice and they get you through training Pronto!!!! Good Luck and Keep the Faith......:)

Nothing to do with where to get the type...there's plenty of threads on that already.
I want to know about your call sign. Did you live on Guam? I caught my first wave at the marina. Never surfed Bali but always wanted to.
Best place I ever surfed was probably Costa Rica, Pacific side. Good fun.
BTW, I went to HPA and have nothing but the best things to say about them and their service.

yea, spent 14.5 years of my life there. Surfed Boat Basin(probably where you refered to as the Marina), Ricks reef, Talafofo, etc. Bali is outrageous. Mostly lefts for us goofy footers. Learned to fly there, first job flying the awesome aircraft made by the Shorts brothers. First waves at Boat Basin, pretty ballsie, if it is big on the lefts, whew, reef was pretty shallow...

I surfed Costa Rica once last year February, 3 to 5 feet, Oeste, Playa Hermosa, Jaco, cool but no Bali, I have a hard time not comparing everywhere to Bali, even Puerto Escondido. PE is awesome, really quiet, cool to hang out, talk with travelers, simular to Bali.

I used to Jump seat on CAL every other month to Bali from Guam. Hot women, Hot waves, hot food...!

Thanks for all the replies about the type training, just looking for a good deal. Just wanna surf.

One of my favorite bars was Barney's on Tumon bay. I think its a hotel now Love the color of that water...

Unit

Go to Higher Power Aviation!

I pondered which one to go to...in the end, I chose HPA. I realize K&S trains with SWA manuals, etc. But you cannot beat getting the excellent instruction in addition to the network that HPA has with SWA. Yes, while SWA will publicly state that all type ratings are the same. I cannot help but believe that the relationship that HPA has with SWA (mirroring cultures, etc) has some affect on whose getting calls. Not trying to downplay any of the outstanding type schools out there...but being an HPA grad and getting a call/interview in addition to 5/12 classmates makes me a believer not in just stats and quals, but relationship folks too.

fly safe,
jtb

I agree with jtb.

I went to K&S for my type and had a fabulous experience with them. I recommend them in a heartbeat to anyone getting a type rating. I also used Higher Power for some simulator instruction about 5 years ago. I met Mark Stearns recently and he was a very personable and nice guy. But, so were the instructors at K&S (Mike Sturgis - great instructor!)

While researching which type rating school to attend, the only differences I noticed (that mattered to me) were the payment methods each company accepted (K&S was much more flexible) and that the class sizes were smaller at K&S than at Higher Power (in general).

However, if your heart is set on Southwest, then Higher Power has a slight edge over K&S, IMHO. For that reason, even though I had the best experience at K&S, I'm sending my hubby to HPA for his type.

Last edited:
BTW, I did K&S and was happy although I did the short course (5 days; need formal course and IOE that I got with AA)

Concur with the Michael Sturgis comment.

Unit

Assuming 737 type for SWA

I had read from what seemed to be an equal number of folks who had gotten types from HPA and K&S. What I looked for was efficiency, connectivity and cost. My previous post was assuming a pilot is inquiring about the the two companies, gearing towards SWA. My previous post was geared toward those looking to improve their chances at SWA. Based on what I've heard/read, both companies would be excellent choices to get a quality 73 type for other companies/opportunities. I was just posting my $.02 for HPA towards SWA. Hope that helps the original poster.

good luck,
jtb

Latest resources

Back