Jumpseating not in Uniform

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fatboyplt

Anyone have issues jumpseating not in uniform. Ref your shavingbag w/ the usual sort of items contained therein. I am J/S on supershort notice and do not care to wear the costume. Thinking of just saying F it and checking the bag instead.
A few thoughts on experiences are helpful.

Thanks
Birdman
BTV

I jumpseated two weeks ago not in uniform, it cost me hair gel, shaving cream, tooth paste and about 10 minutes. I think next time I will show up in the clown suit, then do a switch once inside to a polo. Or in the cooler weather I might just pull the rank / insignia off and leave on a light jacket of other than uniform type.

...not sure what airline you work for or plan on jumpseating on... but if it is a different airline... you can't check a bag at the counter if you plan to jumpseat.

northstar said:
...not sure what airline you work for or plan on jumpseating on... but if it is a different airline... you can't check a bag at the counter if you plan to jumpseat.

might be bad gouge there, northstar.......i've jumped to my reserve job on Alaska a few times since the new rules came out. I've always gone in civilian clothes, (ie., no monkey suit). They've been more than happy to check my bag at the counter. Don't know about other carriers. Thank you Alaska!!

I always start my B6 commute(online) in uniform. Once through the TSA goons, I change immediately. Sorry fatboy, but I don't have any data points for J/Sing on OAL while in/out of uniform.

Jumpseat in uniform or be prepared to get treated as potential Taliban.

There is really no excuse for jumpseating or non-reving out of uniform other than absolute laziness. The good news is that the lazy get to buy all new liquids when they finally get to their destinations.

I've had no trouble jumpseating out of uniform and checking a bag on Southwest and Frontier. My shaving kit and equally dangerous Swiss Army knife go in the checked bag, everything else gets carried on.

Maybe I'm lazy*, but I'm not going to put on the monkey suit just to get past the former burger-flippers at TSA, and I've never been treated like Taliban.

Dress how you want, pack smart, and ask if you can check a bag. It ain't rocket science.

*Ain't no Maybe about it. I am lazy.

"Monkey suits"? "Costumes"? I remember many years ago, as I was just getting my feet wet in aviation, asking an Eastern friend of mine if wearing a uniform every day was a pain. His response was that he was proud to wear his Eastern uniform every minute of his career.

It's amazing how superficial we can be as we project our airline angst onto any symbol of the industry. Perhaps we should actually take some pride in the things that reflect our achievements in this business.

AKAAB

Floyd R. Turbo said:
I've had no trouble jumpseating out of uniform and checking a bag on Southwest and Frontier. My shaving kit and equally dangerous Swiss Army knife go in the checked bag, everything else gets carried on.

Maybe I'm lazy*, but I'm not going to put on the monkey suit just to get past the former burger-flippers at TSA, and I've never been treated like Taliban.

Dress how you want, pack smart, and ask if you can check a bag. It ain't rocket science.

*Ain't no Maybe about it. I am lazy.

Why are you willing to waste the time standing in line to check your bag? Why not just put on a uniform?

I jumpseated for the first time since the new rules and wanted to be in civilian cloths so I checked my bag. My bag was lost and I didn't get it back till I came in for my flight back home. It was my own company too....gotta like that one :)

Latest resources

Back