Jumpseat on Quantas or Virgin Australia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LittleDeuce

Can anyone tell me if Qantas or Virgin Australia will take US jumpseaters and what is the procedure?

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if Qantas or Virgin Australia will take US jumpseaters and what is the procedure?

Thanks!

Never heard of any international carrier recognizing a US jumpseater...... That said, I have ZED fared on Qantas a few times with much happiness!

I have heard of pilots jumpseating on European airlines, both in the cockpit and the FA jumpseat, but they always had to burn a zed to get on the plane.

Jumpseating as we know it here is practically unheard of outside the US and Canada. You'll need a ticket of some kind to get on the plane.

Yup that is true. Another fantastic benni brought to you courtesy of US Pilot Unions.

Yup that is true. Another fantastic benni brought to you courtesy of US Pilot Unions.

A few years ago, traveling on a regular ticket on British Airways, the cabin crew noticed my crew tags. They told the flight crew who then invited me to sit up in the flight deck for the rest of the flight.

While chatting with them, I learned several interesting things about their seniority system, how they hand over controls on visual approaches the way my airline does only for Cat-II approaches, etc.

While discussing flight benefits, they said that they USED to have jumpseat privileges like we do in the US Their demise had nothing to do with the pilot group or management... rather, the government started taxing the benefit as income. The accounting became a nightmare, he said, as the imputed income for each jumpseat had to be added to a pilot's payroll calculations. Arguments ensued as to the fair market value of the seat, with the national government insisting it was a full-fare value, but the pilots saying that nobody actually pays full fare anymore so why should they be taxed HIGHER than the average passenger pays, and besides the seat shouldn't even be valued at a Y fare since there is no movie or music or drink service, etc. He said the whole thing became so complicated and confusing that the concept of jumpseating was dropped altogether.

All because of income taxes.

The Spanish airlines allow it as do a few others in more relaxed parts of the EU. Captain makes the decision... Imagine that!

Queensland And Northern Territories Aerial Services..

there is no "U"

A few years ago, traveling on a regular ticket on British Airways, the cabin crew noticed my crew tags. They told the flight crew who then invited me to sit up in the flight deck for the rest of the flight.

While chatting with them, I learned several interesting things about their seniority system, how they hand over controls on visual approaches the way my airline does only for Cat-II approaches, etc.

While discussing flight benefits, they said that they USED to have jumpseat privileges like we do in the US Their demise had nothing to do with the pilot group or management... rather, the government started taxing the benefit as income. The accounting became a nightmare, he said, as the imputed income for each jumpseat had to be added to a pilot's payroll calculations. Arguments ensued as to the fair market value of the seat, with the national government insisting it was a full-fare value, but the pilots saying that nobody actually pays full fare anymore so why should they be taxed HIGHER than the average passenger pays, and besides the seat shouldn't even be valued at a Y fare since there is no movie or music or drink service, etc. He said the whole thing became so complicated and confusing that the concept of jumpseating was dropped altogether.

All because of income taxes.

Oh lord, please do not give the US Govmt any bright ideas on ways to tax those "rich" pilots!

Latest resources

Back