Jumpseat Etiquette

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MD80DRVR

Is it not still proper etiquette to check with the Captain of a flight when jumpseating?

I'm currently flying as a Captain at an American Connection carrier while on furlough from AA. Twice in the last month, I've been finishing up my paperwork and realized that the "Jumpseater" box is checked meaning we have one on board. I asked the F/A on both occasions if she was aware that we had a jumpseater and both times she said no. I then proceeded to ask the gate agent and sure enough, we did have a jumpseater. I asked the F/A on both occasions to ask the individual to come up front (amazing how she could pick them out each time without asking anybody). On both occasions, they were really pleasant but seemed taken back that I wanted to see them and their I.D. and license. I know it's kind of confusing while jumping on American/AE/and American Connection because they give you a ticket but I still always check in with the Captain and ask his permission to ride along. Jumpseating is still a privilege, not a right. Anybody else having this experience?

Sorry about the ranting. Peace!:cool: :cool:

How about those that come up front and hand you the jumpseat form and say..."I'm your jumpseater" and then walk off.

Yes

It is still proper IMHO.

I don't go nuts over checking their paperwork since they are essentially another pax in the back, and the gate has checked before giving them a seat, but I DO expect them to check in with me before having a seat to at least say thanks.

Doesn't apply to commuters...only majors.:D

Just kidding. It’s only proper to check with the captain. At SWA the F/O can check the jumpseater’s credentials and give authorization to ride, however, some captains want to check the credentials.

RJ

Earlier this month we had the same thing happen to us twice. I think a jumpseater is obligated to check in with the flight deck regardless of whether or not they've been issued a seat. Jumpseaters are still ACM's.

MD80DRVR said:
Is it not still proper etiquette to check with the Captain of a flight when jumpseating?.... Sorry about the ranting. Peace!:cool: :cool:

Don't think you are ranting.

Jumpseating is a privelege.

I first ask the "A" flight attendant for permission to enter the cockpit.

I enter the cockpit with my right hand extended as I introduce myself to the Capt/FO. In my left hand I have my ID, my license/med certificate and jumpseat form.

After introducing myself I offer my credentials and ask permission for the jumpseat.

From the cockpit perpsective - Occassionally I have encountered jumpseaters who have not come up to the flight deck or do not have their credentials available for viewing.

In those cases I have always asked to see their credentials and have politely (emphasis on politely - no reason to piss them off - maybe they were just ignorant) advised them of what I consider to be proper jumpseat etiquette.

Last edited:
InHot has it right. At AA, since the agents run the airline, meeting the crew has been de-emphasized. I always duck in and say hi even when I'm riding on a pass. At AA, they look at me like I have three heads.

SWA was always really nice when I jumpseated. Thanks to all of them!TC

Re: Yes

F9 Driver said:
It is still proper IMHO.

I don't go nuts over checking their paperwork since they are essentially another pax in the back, and the gate has checked before giving them a seat, but I DO expect them to check in with me before having a seat to at least say thanks.

I wouldn't do that. I always check credentials when I have jumpseaters. Some gate agents don't even know what they are looking for. I think sometimes these jumpseaters think that the gate has already verified with you that it is ok that he/she can ride so they don't bother asking or introducing themselves to the Captain. Sometimes I feel that these agents are on a power trip and authorize a js without even passing it along to the Captain.

I once had a schmuck that his credentials were supposedly checked by the agent. Turned out after I checked his credentials he had an expired airport id along with an expired medical. So I denied his js. But he did introduce himself so I give him credit for that one.

Whenever I jumpseat I ALWAYS introduce myself to both the Captain and FO and thank them for the js. I think it's a matter of professional courtesy.

I not only introduce myself, offer my credentials and ask politely for a ride.

I also let the Captain (and any of the crew I have an opportunity to speak with) know what seat the agent has assigned me -- if I have been assigned a seat. As a jumpseater, you are a part of the crew. If my assistance is needed, I want everyone on the crew to know where I am sitting.

Plus, if the agent has assigned me a coach seat (as usually happens on AA), it gives the Captain an opportunity to think about moving me to first class!

Just the way I handle it.

By the way, I truly miss the days of offline jumpseaters riding on the flight deck. Not only did it give more folks a chance to get home or to work. It also gave us a chance to chat with pilots from other carriers.

I once took an Air Canada Captain from PHL to STT -- what a nice guy. He sat in first class, but made a point to come to the cockpit and chat with us for a while enroute. He had some interesting memorabilia in his flight bag from his days with the RAF. He had some very interesting stories to tell, also.

I hope we get the cockpit jumpseat back soon!

I'm a new Captain but I've already noticed a trend. As much as I hate to say it my limited experience has been that the mainline pilots are more apt to strictly observe JS etiquette than my regional/national counterparts. If I'm actually JS or if I'm in uniform I'll always ask to speak to the Captain. Usually when I'm nonrevving I'll just introduce myself to one of the FA's and offer my assistance should circumstances arise that would require it.

Latest resources

Back