Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

reno

Judge's Order Affirms SkyWest Airlines Pilots' Right to Organize

SAN FRANCISCO, May 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On May 22, 2007, inthe U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, theSkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee filed suit against SkyWestAirlines, Inc. to prevent the carrier from interfering with SkyWest pilots'right to organize under the Railway Labor Act. The Organizing Committee isworking with the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) to gainunion representation for SkyWest pilots. "I applaud the members of the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committeefor their courage in demanding their federal rights to freely discuss andlearn more about ALPA and the benefits of union representation," said ALPAPresident Captain John Prater. "Under the rules governing union organizing,SkyWest pilots are entitled to distribute and receive information from ALPAand its supporters on exactly the same terms and conditions that they havereceived information from management and their in-house pilot committee.ALPA stands behind the Organizing Committee's desire to discuss with theircolleagues ALPA's possible role in their professional futures," he added. The same day the lawsuit was filed, the Court issued a temporaryrestraining order requiring SkyWest to allow Organizing Committee membersand their supporters to express their support for ALPA and the organizingcampaign by wearing ALPA insignia on lanyards or pins and to distributeALPA materials in non-work areas such as crew lounges and bulletin boards.The temporary restraining order also required SkyWest to provide members ofthe Organizing Committee with access to the same channels of internalcommunication to the pilot group that are now and have been available tothe internal pilots committee funded completely by management. Yesterday, May 24, 2007, the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committeefought back a challenge from SkyWest Airlines on the right of SkyWestpilots to communicate freely about the organizing campaign withoutinterference from or discrimination by the company. Despite a fullopportunity to present its case to the judge, SkyWest Airlines was unableto persuade the Court that the temporary restraining order should notremain in effect. Following the hearing, the Court issued a revised order continuing theprotections which enable SkyWest pilots to freely express their views aboutthe organizing campaign. This order will remain in effect until the hearingon the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee's request for a preliminaryinjunction. That hearing has been set for Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 9:00a.m. (PDT). More than 2,600 pilots fly for the St. George, Utah-based SkyWestAirlines, Inc., serving 19.5 million passengers in 140 cities in the U.S.and Canada. Formed in 1931, ALPA is the world's largest pilots union. As of June 1,2007, ALPA will represent more than 60,000 pilots and crewmembers at 41airlines in the U.S. and Canada.s.server=server()s.channel="News Release"s.pageName="Judge's Order Affirms SkyWest Airlines Pilots' Right to Organize"s.prop2="104"s.prop3="05-25-2007"s.prop4=""s.prop5=""/************* DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! **************/var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code);//-->SOURCE Air Line Pilots Association, International

Actually this is an update. After the TRO was issued SkyWest went to court and tried to get the TRO overturned. The judge refused and reaffirmed the TRO with new language.

Big surprise....another NorCal Liberal judge siding with a union. Will be nice when they finally put it to a vote and lose. Then the OC will have to shut it's trap for two years......too bad only two.

I think the support for ALPA at SkyW is quickly dwindling...too many newhires from people who were with ALPA...they know it will do nobody here any good.

Pulling these stunts won't gain ALPA many fans. If ALPA wants to succeed at SkyWest they need to prove themselves by getting ASA a decent contract.

Pulling these stunts won't gain ALPA many fans. If ALPA wants to succeed at SkyWest they need to prove themselves by getting ASA a decent contract.

If this is a stunt by ALPA, why did Skywest Inc fight it? I thought they had no worries about a union ending up on the property. If they were as benevolent as you guys seem to believe, why the hostility that a judge granted an injunction against. This should open your eyes a little bit to what your leadership thinks and how they react. However, you've probably never been an ALPA supporter.

yea lets hurry up and vote this thing down so i can stop thowing away all the alpa pens that some dork is leaving in the planes.

If this is a stunt by ALPA, why did Skywest Inc fight it? I thought they had no worries about a union ending up on the property. If they were as benevolent as you guys seem to believe, why the hostility that a judge granted an injunction against. This should open your eyes a little bit to what your leadership thinks and how they react. However, you've probably never been an ALPA supporter.

Actually I sent my card in long ago but if a vote happens soon I'm not sure if I'll vote for ALPA. I would like to see them score a victory against SkyWest management for the ASA guys. So far they don't look very effective to me.

I would consider voting for ALPA when they fix their problems.

Get back Delta's retirement
Get Back United's retirement
Get back United's work rules
Get TWA's pilots their jobs back
Give Northwest back everything they lost

We no longer live in a society where a union is the answer. Let's look at TSA holdings...ie G0Jet.
ALPA is so strong that at first they were going to blacklist Freedom pilots, but because they started paying dues...they were good enough then to be ALPA members.

It seems everything management does to a group these days, the union is unable to counter...why would I pay for something that is worthless to me.

Latest resources

Back