Job outlook for rotary wing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capnflyright

For those of you who make a living on the helicopter side of aviation, what is your outlook on future hiring, job opportunities, time requirements for insurance, etc.?

How do you feel about starting over again? Your fixed time is absolutely worthless and meaningless to helicopter operators. In addition to that little problem, the market is going to be flooded by all the military pilots separating after these little middle east engagements. They all have tons of turbine, heavy helicopter time, that beginners will never be able to compete with. Dont let any of these flight schools sell you a load of crap, especially if its a flight school in Missouri (huge liars).

One thing their is always a need for is true IFR experienced helicopter pilots....I'm not talking ratings...I'm talking AI time in helicopters...It took us months to fill vacancies...Still does

I *used* to make my living in rotary wing, but the job/financial aspects of the industry were so wretched that I cast my lot with fixed wing a few years ago. Helicopters are a lot of fun, and the rotary culture is a great culture (not a lot of back stabbers like we see in other realms of aviation)...but the sad fact is that the years insist on going by, and there you (well, a lot of us) sit, making less money than a mediocre waiter would make. Eventually that takes the fun out of it.

The good news, from what I've heard, is that salaries have gone up in the Gulf of Mexico (PHI, for example), but I have not bothered to confirm it. However, if I was contemplating a leap back into rotary, I would use PHI and similar Gulf companies as my benchmark for the industry's opportunities (or lack thereof).

The Vietnam war flooded the industry with pilots, which put civvies at a distinct disadvantage. As some other poster noted, the Iraq war is going to have the same effect.

I did see a Lear jet pilot sweet talk his boss into getting a Jet Ranger and sending him to helicopter training. Now THAT would be the way to go.

There are a lot of excellent helicopter pilots, in their 50's, scrapping for jobs that pay $3,000 a month (if that) in copters.

No thanks.

Last edited:
ghostrider64 said:
One thing their is always a need for is true IFR experienced helicopter pilots....I'm not talking ratings...I'm talking AI time in helicopters...It took us months to fill vacancies...Still does

Ghostrider, what company are you referring to?

dasmith said:
How do you feel about starting over again? Your fixed time is absolutely worthless and meaningless to helicopter operators. In addition to that little problem, the market is going to be flooded by all the military pilots separating after these little middle east engagements. They all have tons of turbine, heavy helicopter time, that beginners will never be able to compete with. Dont let any of these flight schools sell you a load of crap, especially if its a flight school in Missouri (huge liars).

Yeah, not quite, unless 800 hours is "tons of turbine, heavy helicopter time."
Army guys make up the bulk of military helicopter pilots, and I know more than one who got out with 10 years' experience and under a thousand hours total time. Unless a guy is a senior warrant officer, it's not unusual these days to come out of the army and not be competitive in the civilian market. If a guy is a senior warrant officer, he'll stay in long enough to retire and then come into the market, or else go here (www.aptap.org) and then come after your fixed wing job.

Keep the Vietnam comparisons coming. They're funny.

psysicx said:
Do firefighter pilots make more money then EMS?

Yes, but only on Sundays. (Not in California or New Jersey).

On regular T days, EMS guys are paid time and a half. The rest of the time, firefighter guys make slightly more than EMS guys (some exceptions), but not if they are on open time. (Ref: 14 CFR 49.25 a:2)

For more info, check www.helopilotpayqol.org.

Hope this helps.

From what I see happening in the industry right now, the job and pay prospects will get better. Especially for the pilots who have an instrument rating or an ATP (H). The percentage of helicoptrer pilots who have these qualifications are a much smaller percentage than pilots in the fixed-wing community. The helicopters that are now just coming out and will come into the industry over the next few years will make much of the difference. Helicopters like the AB139 and the Bell 429. Both these helicopters are IFR right out of the box. The 139 is in the process of getting approved for anti-icing/de-icing. Plus the size of these helicopters will force the companies to require such qualifications. Either by regulation or by the insurance companies.

i have buddies that fly s76 in nyc area and they make same as g550 pilots. just depends on who and what type operation you can get on with. big company in nyc area with choppers is a good gig for a chopper pilot- just difficult to get. :)

Latest resources

Back