• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue's paperless cockpit questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the ground school pay is for self study in recurrent. I don't think it applies to upgrade, but I may be wrong. You're supposed to self study the applicable parts of the FOM, FCOM, etc. before class, so that's what the pay is for.

Regarding the paperless cockpit, don't forget the MEL and Airport Briefing Guide. Of all paperless operational documents, I reference those the most. The rest are nice-to-have, but I need those. I do occasionally refer to the FOM, FCOM, or Op Specs, too. The rest are good for an occasional study or reference question, but they just aren't needed on the line. I can take or leave them, but it doesn't cost anything to load them, so bring 'em on.

Word is that version 2.0 of our documentation system is in development by IT, and this may all change in a year or two. The new version will have extensive hyperlinks to other documents, be globally searchable, and will have better version control. This means that they'll be easier to use, easier to update and distribution may be targeted to the intended user. So sometime soon, we might not get every manual in the company, only what we need. The information itself would also be more accessible, by pulling references from among multiple sources at need. Cool stuff.

Electric Jepps

As stated in an earlier post, our Jepps are still paper but have been trimmed down to only our regular destinations, and a few prime alternates. The remainder of the "full set" resides on each individual aircraft as a library but are rarely used. We have a Jepp Boy that maintains them.

In the near future, we will have electronic Jepps (or other approved brand) that will be displayed from the stowable tray table that exists in the A320. It will be an active matrix type screen similar to a laptop computer. We have tried since our start-up to have electric charts and plates and have run into many bumps along the way. First, it was convincing the FAA, then when that was done, finding a vendor to support our project was a problem, then, it was finding a space in the airplane to mount a CRT because you can't use the existing CRT displays. They do not have a high enough resolution to display approach charts and enroute charts (believe it or not). Anyway, we are still working on it and the electric Jepp/Snack tray isn't far off. Maybe as early as this winter. Once again, way cool stuff and great tools of the trade if you ask me!

C yaaa

Latest resources

Back