• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
-Your retirement is at least 35% behind
-You have no scope
-You have questionable at best merger protection
-You will be bankrupt if you go on LTD. The new program is a complete slap in the face.

and a vote for ALPA resolves none of those issues.

What are you selling again?

No, no it doesn't.

Yes it does. With a CBA the company is required by law to negotiate in good faith. Under the current 'collaborative process' there is nothing to force the company to move forward if they don't want to. We get what they want to give us and nothing more. A CBA gives us a seat at the table with the force of the feds keeping the process moving forward. It doesn't guarantee an outcome but we at least we have a say. Right now we have no power and no leverage.

Rez:

No, that's not all...we do have issues that need addressing....what we don't need is irresponsible statements about what a union can and cannot do.

When ALPA starts to act like a UNION and not an association of carriers who all do what is in their best interest to the possible detriment of the PROFESSION, then I will consider a vote for ALPA.

Unions do not allow outsourcing. Unions do not allow draconian measures like drug and alcohol testing, security screening, and pension terminations on their membership without large consequences. ALPA has allowed all of these things to occur and the industry is 10 times the mess it was in 1980.

I heard someone say the other day.....there are 55,000 airline pilots in this country. There are 350 million people in this country depending on us. Never have so many depended on so few. If we really yielded our power, noone would #$%% with us....ever. But as we soldier on, our all powerful union stands there, apparently powerless to see into the future and to head off any of the mess that has plagued the industry. Yet you believe that ALPA is so powerful in Washington.....how is that with the security screening, pension terminations, drug/alcohol testing, age 65, you don't want me to even mention Frank Lorenzo or Stephen Wolf.....do you want me to go on?

No thanks.....

A350

Rez:

No, that's not all...we do have issues that need addressing....what we don't need is irresponsible statements about what a union can and cannot do.
Will these issues be better resolved with or without representation? What is the collective consensus?

When ALPA starts to act like a UNION and not an association of carriers who all do what is in their best interest to the possible detriment of the PROFESSION, then I will consider a vote for ALPA.
yet the acronym states Association not union. Where do you get this expectation that ALPA is a union, it the sense that you think it should be?

Unions do not allow outsourcing. Unions do not allow draconian measures like drug and alcohol testing, security screening, and pension terminations on their membership without large consequences. ALPA has allowed all of these things to occur and the industry is 10 times the mess it was in 1980.
But ALPA is a loose federation of unions. The last 10 years have been brutal and these times call for more of a union structure than federation. We agree...

But if ALPA were to become more of a union as you state, what happens in the good times when each company has different growth rates and profit margins for individual CBAs? Are the Delta pilots going to be mad because they can get bigger gains for A320 flying than Jetblue pilots. In other words, in the good times can the DAL pilots cry foul that the national union is not allowing them negotiate to the full potential because it might undermine the JB A320 rate?

I heard someone say the other day.....there are 55,000 airline pilots in this country. There are 350 million people in this country depending on us. Never have so many depended on so few. If we really yielded our power, noone would #$%% with us....ever. But as we soldier on, our all powerful union stands there, apparently powerless to see into the future and to head off any of the mess that has plagued the industry. Yet you believe that ALPA is so powerful in Washington.....how is that with the security screening, pension terminations, drug/alcohol testing, age 65, you don't want me to even mention Frank Lorenzo or Stephen Wolf.....do you want me to go on?

No thanks.....

A350
your description above is more IMHO a characteristic of American capitalism than just ALPA. Putting the blame on solely on ALPA is short sighted. Also, it seems you are willing to spite your nose to save your face in saying that no protection is better than ALPA....

Your reply?

Last edited:
Yes it does. With a CBA the company is required by law to negotiate in good faith.

Why don't you explain to us exactly what you think "Negotiate in good faith" means for the pilot group? As far as I can tell, you seem to be under the impression you could walk into a car dealership and "negotiate" a car down to a $1. All you need is a "seat at the table" and the dealer to "negotiate in good faith".

It doesn't guarantee an outcome...

Exactly.

I actually decided to leave my fractional job when the union started spinning up.. Came to jetblue completely anti union and watched the process unfold over 6 years..I am a YES vote without a doubt

The management employee relationship is as one sided as i have ever seen with changes made by management at any time with no input from the employees here.

If they could replace you tomorrow and save 10% they would do it in a second.. Culture does not exist here except for you bluejuicers that wear your blinders.

No thanks I would rather have an imperfect process in place then none at all.

Rez:

No thanks.....

A350

Ok, what is YOUR answer???? Good ole' Dave is going to take care of us???
No thanks....

Latest resources

Back