• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue: Lateral Move For Regional Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They're not gonna treat you as good as JetBlue though. Something to think about. But if JetBlue's longetivity scares you then not a good place for you.

I don't know about that. I felt I was treated just as good at the regional that I came from as I was at JetBlue. I don't need to be cuddled by the chief pilots and have the CEO show up at my house for a BBQ to feel like I'm being treated good. JetBlue was a great place to work, but there are other airlines out there that can be just as great if not better places to work depending on your situation. Not commuting for me will just about make up for anything that my new employer can throw my way, so I think I'll feel like I'm treated better just because my life will be easier. The one thing I will miss is the PTO/PTS policy. JetBlue has that one figured out. Also carrying around all my manuals again is going to suck. Those electronic manuals were nice!

If it was me I'd keep the regional CA slot. No commute, senior schedule, alright money, known product. Income potential is such an opiate, it's total hogwash. People slave over for decades under the premise of income potential; I can't take that to the bank next month, when I need it....Increased QOL under a known proven schedule, 80K/year (for sake argument) and no commute trumps the "potential" of an extra 30-40K (not even actual money mind you) attained by volunteering myself off the seniority list and going back twofold in QOL, not to mention the competitive and saturated nature of the game..... to each their own,... but one in the hand brother....

I just couldn't see it. I was working for a regional that was only giving us 12 days off, barely commutable, sometimes 14 off but they WEREN'T commutable, wasn't going to move to domicile, and made $78k including per diem my last year there whoring myself out at 90+ hours a month.

Made the jump to AAI based on quick upgrade potential and not too bad of a 1st year pay cut. My 1st year W2 was $47,5k including per diem. Yeah, that hurt.

2nd year will be near $60k. 3rd year will be $68k, not including the likelihood of a new T.A. with a 15% raise in those figures. 4th year I'd break even, 7th year be total even money for the move, NOT INCLUDING upgrade (which I should do in Year 4 by current projections).

At the same time, I'm flying 75-80 hours a month, getting 17-18 days off a month, ALL commutable, and have it MUCH better than where I was.

It was worth it, even if I don't upgrade as soon as planned, based solely on the days off and commutability.

To each their own...

Latest resources

Back