Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airbaker

Hi guys and gals,

Somewhat of a lame question, but as an almost newbie headed to Miami in January, I needed some info for future planning:

My wife is in her 10th week of pregnancy and we need to know what health care options are available. Specifically if a PPO is available we need to know what network it's in. (ie. Blue Cross, Blue Shield....just figuring it would have "blue" in it :) ) That'll help us narrow the field as to what OBGYN we can stick with for the remainder of the term.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to keep the discussion private. Any other opinions of the healthcare options would be appreciated.

Thanks mucho.

Good insurance.......

Hi. My family and I use United Health Care through the jetBlue "Blue Benefits" and haven't had any problems whatsoever. It seems to be excellent insurance.

jetBlue offers either United Health Care or Blue Cross (I think it's called 'Empire Blue' or something like that).

Let me know if you need any specifics on either of these. I'm sure that the benefits department would be happy to help you with any questions that you might have. Let me know if you need contact information for that department.

BBD

Airbaker:

Congrats!!!!!!! There is nothing like being a parent! The only thing that made my furlough tolerable was being there for my daughters first 5 months (so far).

Good luck at Blue. Remember the rest of us TWA folk!! :)

United Health vs. BlueCross

I had Blue Cross with a previous employer using a PPO plan. I found them OK, but they were difficult getting prescriptions. It seemed that for any prescription, other than for emergency meds, I had to have my doctor call Blue Cross to get the meds authorized. When I started with jetBlue, I decided to give United Health a try and have much better success getting meds for my kids. Take this with a grain of salt, but to date, I am mote impressed with United Health's service than Blue Cross.

jaxgus

Realize that depends on where you live also....I have a buddy of mine who flies for JB and lives in Burlington, VT. Nowhere in that town will they accept United Health.....my buddy spent a lot of $$ out of his own pocket until BCBS came on line......should do some research in your town before you choose a plan (if that option is available)

Last edited:
FWIW,

Consumer reports rates Empire BCBS (new option) number 20 and UHC number 30 (in the US). In fact BCBS occupies almost all of the top 20 spots. I have decided to switch after speaking to our doctors and finding that they strongly prefer BCBS.

As for the cost to us, as of Jan. 1, we will be paying $200 / month for the PPO family coverage. Some of you may say that this is high. I agree, however, I realize that the cost of medical insurance has skyrocketed and that jetBlue is paying 75% of the cost. In my position (family member needs), anything but the most and best coverage is an absolute neccesity. A small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Both UHC and BCBS will have the exact same coverage. $15 dollar co-pay for office visits and 100% coverage for lab and test fees. Most other services are covered at 90% or higher. Don't be alarmed though, there is also a $1000 maximum out-of-pocket limit for all in-network services. I have found the insurance adequate and fair. And unfortunately, it has been used a lot.

Stick-N

Latest resources

Back