Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wheelsup

Non-Registered User
Flew with an aerial photographer the other day on contract from Jetblue for the approach ends of the runways at MCO. From what I could gather the pictures would be dignitized and thrown in their new Level D ERJ sims.

I heard something awhile ago that they were considering buy ERJ's but I guess it's a done deal?

~wheelsup

wheelsup said:
I heard something awhile ago that they were considering buy ERJ's but I guess it's a done deal?

You're mistaken. JetBlue has never considered buying RJ's. They do have orders for 100 E-190's, though.

Um...those ARE RJ's.....Let's review...Boeing + Airbus + DC's = Real planes Canadair + Embraer = RJ's. Dont make a Baron out of a 152. Anyway you look at it, it's a company that's done well in the past but has some rocky roads ahead of it, overexpanding. Who knows, they may not even take deleveries of all of them..or any of them....I recall United putting in orders for twice the ammount of 777's they currently have. They are taking no more deliveries.

I thought the RJ in ERJ stood for regional..obviously I was wrong. They stand for replacement jets, or maybe even relinquishing jobs.

Dude,

Not to be a smart arse, but the EMB website says the new RJ's are to fill the 70-110 seat regional niche. Humm, doesn't American Eagles ATR's carry that many passengers?

Lighten up Fransis, you are going to be flying RJ's, but thats ok. Thats the choice you made, be happy with it. Just think, you will be the highest paid RJ pilots in the world. It's not a big deal, its only an airplane. (kinda)

These planes seat 100 passengers, are nearly as large as the A-320's, and have 2000 mile range. They will be used in point-to-point, not feeder, routes, just as the A-320's are now. If the E-190's are RJ's, then so are mainline-operated DC-9's, B-717's and F-28's. I mean, really, where do you draw the line here?

The line is gone, that's the problem. If it holds 100+ passengers, it's not an RJ anymore, despite what the manufacturer calls it.

I saw my first 190 on the tarmac in Nashville a few weeks ago in US Airways colors; I was wondering when they decided to put an "Airbus" on a 737 route and thinking there was something not quite right with how that "Airbus" looked when the Captain I had jumpseated home with came out beside me on the jetbridge stairs and shook his head saying he'd never vote scope concessions to let that happen at Northwest. Then I realized what I was looking at. :eek:

190's will be great for JB in my opinion, they'll fit a nitch quite nicely and I disagree that they're overexpanding; that seems to be the backbone of their entire strategy: expand very quickly into new markets while they have a break on lease payments on new aircraft, develop brand loyalty with one hell of a great product, get their load factors up, then when their payments begin on their aircraft, they'll remain profitable. I may be oversimplifying, but it makes sense to me... :D

Check What You're Looking At

Lear70 said:
The line is gone, that's the problem. If it holds 100+ passengers, it's not an RJ anymore, despite what the manufacturer calls it.

I saw my first 190 on the tarmac in Nashville a few weeks ago in US Airways colors; I was wondering when they decided to put an "Airbus" on a 737 route and thinking there was something not quite right with how that "Airbus" looked when the Captain I had jumpseated home with came out beside me on the jetbridge stairs and shook his head saying he'd never vote scope concessions to let that happen at Northwest. Then I realized what I was looking at. :D

The aircraft you saw is an E-170. It is the smaller sister aircraft to the E-190. JetBlue is the launch customer for the E-190 and they are still in certification. Expect to see your first E-190 early Fall '05.

jaxgus

>> Let's review...Boeing + Airbus + DC's = Real planes
>> Canadair + Embraer = RJ's

Let's compare numbers from company websites. One is the Boeing (nee Douglas) 717, one is the EMB-190

MTOW lbs: 110,000
Size in feet: 93x124x29
Range in nm: 1430

MTOW lbs: 110,893
Size in feet: 94x119x34
Range in nm: 2200

Can you guess which is the real plane? Hint: it's the one that flys higher and faster . . .

Lear70 said:
I saw my first 190 on the tarmac in Nashville a few weeks ago in US Airways colors;

Actually you saw the EMB-170. That is what Airways is flying now. The EMB-190 just had its second flight in Brazil a few weeks ago. It is a stretch of the 170. Just goes to show how the "regional jet" has grown.

Does it really make a difference anyhow? If it is an airplane, fly it. Isn't that why we all got into the industry anyhow???

oops too slow

Sorry,
I did not mean to duplicate efforts here....

I am too slow on the type....

Latest resources

Back