• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Emergency tonight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reluctant to declare an emergency? What an idiot! If there's a question call it.

On the subject of radars and birds. I'm sure scientifically it can be proven that birds can't "hear" radar, but you know what, it doesn't cost anything to turn it on before takeoff or landing. So on line up and final I'll flip the old radar on, just in case that old wives tale has any possibility of truth to it.

It’s not like we can ask the birds, “Hey can you ‘hear’ this?” Who knows having the radar on today might have kept me from hitting a bird today.

Re: a bird's tendency to dive...

I actually had a bird do the opposite! This stupid bird would've been fine. But no. He pulled UP at the last second and nailed my windscreen!

As an aside - I always thought I would be "tough" and not duck under the glareshield if I saw a bird. Nope. I ducked without even thinking about it. So much for mister tough guy. My FO had a good laugh at that.

Emergency???

If at any point you doubt the uneventful outcome of a flight, declair the emergency, better to call it and not need it , than to need it and not use it. That is what company incident reports are for. fly safe, and defend it on the ground. AS for my old company-get beaten anyway

I don't know why some are so hesitant to declare an emergency. What if you return and land over max landing weight? Well now you've exceeded a limitation on an airplane. If nothing else it's CYA.

Hesitant to declare an emergency???!!!

must be one of those "hero" CRJ captains..scary.

If in doubt, just declare the emergency - contrary to what you were probably taught by an ignorant instructor, the feds aren't going to break your balls. They may, however, take your certificates for good (or worse) if you fly around and be a hero while your butt should have been on the ground.

ReportCanoa said:
Yes, Yes; it can be an emergency, but I would be reluctant to declare one if there were no engine, control or windscreen issues. Thanks all for the safety lecture...

These comments coming from a guy who lists himself as a 2500tt RJ Capt. Sounds like you've got a lot more maturing to do.

I always thought I would be "tough" and not duck under the glareshield if I saw a bird. Nope. I ducked without even thinking about it. So much for mister tough guy. My FO had a good laugh at that.
LOL
Thats a funny visual, but not to worry, Im sure If I saw a bird coming at me at 140kts, I'd duck too!

Birds' "Dive, Dive" reaction

I think most of us have probably seen birds dive away from a big noisy metal monster flying at them. I've heard that it's a reaction instinct to dive to gain airspeed so as to better avoid predators (owls, hawks, etc). Don't know that for a fact, just what I've heard. My question: do the really big birds (Canada Geese, etc) have the same reaction? Seems like the predators they'd fear are all on the ground, not the air. Are they also prone to dive when frightened the way that smaller birds are?

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back