Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue: Below average and it's going to stay that way.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think the company is actually considering getting rid of premium pay. They are saying the things they are saying to manage expectations and make us THINK that we are getting such a great deal right now.

For those pilots that had listened to the last several RM conference calls, 80% of the time spent discussing the pay review was spent telling us why would probably not get the pay increase... Yet we got it. This is managements way of making us fear not getting our piddly raise, so that when we get our piddly little raise, we are relieved and not demanding more. It is expectations management 101. Same with this talk about putting a value on our premium pay.

Here is the important part, and something our PVC and more vocal pilot callers need to HAMMER home during conference calls and PVC-management meetings... OUR PREMIUM PAY SYSTEM IS ACTUALLY ALMOST THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER MAJOR AIRLINE! Most major airline pilots get a 70-80 hour line, and then during the busy months, pick up open time that is automatically paid at 150-200%. In fact, many guys bid a min credit line of 70 hours, and then start getting premium pay from opentime from 70 hours, instead of our 78 hour trigger....

During slow months at other airlines, there is no open time, just the same as we have low bid devisors and no opentime during slow months.

Hell, even my last regional airline had 150% for all opentime pickups.... Guys made a killing if they wanted to fly hard....

PVC and vocal pilots, make the legitimate case that our premium pay system is no more costly or valuable than that other of our peers, just implimented slightly differently!!!!

As for adding Spirit and Virgin America to our peer set... Sure, as soon as JetBlue can start offering 3 year upgrades again... Until then, it is apples and oranges...

Smarta$$

Sorry to disturb...

When do you expect JB to start hiring again and what are the general mins.

More specifically, what are the turbine PIC requirements (if any).

thanks.

Sorry to disturb...

When do you expect JB to start hiring again and what are the general mins.

More specifically, what are the turbine PIC requirements (if any).

thanks.

Hiring is projected to resume in the fall, and there are currently about 150 pilots in the pool who have passed the interview and just waiting on class dates. My guess would be new interviews to happen Oct-Nov timeframe for Spring 2013 classdates at the earliest. No PIC turbine required, probably about 3000TT minimum, 5000TT competitive.

Thanks, Flyby!

Do you see a lot of low to nothing turbine PIC getting hired though?

More in the recent hiring spree than previously, and I am sure others will chime in on their theories behind this. The ones who dont have any PIC turbine DO seem to have several thousand hours in the right seat of a 121 jet operation.

BB,

Eventually you have to grow up and recognize that we are now an established major airline, no longer a start up. No, we haven't been around as long as the really big boys with the really big toys, but we are now amongst the top ten in the US and even figure quite well in the world rankings as far as ASM's, we far outpaced some flag carriers.

It's time to wear big boy pants!

If you mean "you" as in our managment needs to step up and wear some big boy pants? yes, I totally agree with your statment.

If you meant "you" as in we as an airline need to man up and wear some big boy pants, I hear ya there too.

If you mean "you" as in I need some big boy pants... ya lost me, I like shorts and flops.

If you meant "you" BB as in BlueBayou... well... no comment.

Last edited:
As we move forward, there will be challenges, but you'll see for the most part, Jetblue has provided most of what we can ask for.

What you can "ask for" with your fully funded military pension, government health insurance, and top 5% seniority number and what the rest of us "ask for" with the worst health insurance and retirement in the industry, are quite different.

And no, that's not hyperbole, we have the worst health insurance and retirement in the industry. If not for many other reasons, just the fact that both can be changed or completely terminated as per your PEA. But you and 1193 other myopic fools bought the line that a PEA that allows the company to terminate a retirement plan is better than a negotiated CBA.

But I get it. You're good. You upgraded in a few months and hold your nice productive turns while the bottom 50% languish on reserve or the right seat with no prospect of upgrading with our paltry retirement numbers and makes plans to head elsewhere.

But anyway....CONGRATS. You got your average! After all, the 2.21% was to adjust our pay to AVERAGE.

Congrats!....YOU'RE MEDIOCRE!....:rolleyes:

No thank you. The 190 is not a regional jet, it's very similar to a DC-9 or 717 which have always been mainline jets. Just because every other jet that Embraer makes is an RJ, that doesn't make the 190 an RJ by association.

Boeing 717 - Max takeoff weight, 110,000, Typical seating 106-117
E190- Max takeoff weight 114,000, Typical seating 94-114
(As posted on Wikipedia)

Jetblue 5 yr FO/8 yr CA E190 = $82 / $136
Airtran 5 yr FO/8 yr CA 717 = $93 / $151

I know you feel superior to we small, single aisle, narrow body jet 190 pilots in your giant, er slightly less small, single aisle, narrow body A320, but I'll pass on the pay cut, thanks.

717 MTOW is 120,000....FWIW?

And no, that's not hyperbole, we have the worst health insurance and retirement in the industry. If not for many other reasons, just the fact that both can be changed or completely terminated as per your PEA. But you and 1193 other myopic fools bought the line that a PEA that allows the company to terminate a retirement plan is better than a negotiated CBA.

if things are so bad you can always leave. unfortunately, losers like you come with their tongues watering and then stay on and moan and groan about how the world has done them wrong. Every B6 pilot has had an option not to sign the PEA or not to renew. If you really want to take a stand lets see you do that.

Latest resources

Back