JetBlue adds to their IFE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airbaker

Looks like jetBlue and Airtran are now going to offer XM satellite radio. Makes me wonder if an announcement from Southwest will follow shortly.

JetBlue to introduce digital satellite radio, pay-per-view movies
Tuesday January 6, 6:18 pm ET
By Brad Foss, AP Business Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Through agreements with XM Satellite Radio and News Corp., low-fare carrier JetBlue Airways said Tuesday it will augment its in-flight entertainment with about 100 channels of free digital satellite radio and two pay-per-view movie channels.
The New York-based carrier, which in 2000 became the first airline to offer live satellite programming through TVs installed in every seatback, also said it would add 12 more channels of DirecTV.

JetBlue chief executive David Neeleman said in an interview that with ever more carriers matching its cheap domestic fares, it has become increasingly important to offer unique service, and that entertainment is just one way to do that.

"Frankly, I think the TVs and the entertainment are a little bit overrated and what's underrated is the whole way we do business," Neeleman said, referring to the low-cost operating strategy that makes it possible for JetBlue, Southwest Airlines and others to profit from inexpensive fares.

Separately, JetBlue on Wednesday will mount its largest-ever expansion with a goal of picking off local customers from major carriers, such as American Airlines and US Airways, as well as from the nation's largest low-fare carrier, Southwest.

For XM, the partnership with JetBlue gives it access to some 12 million listeners -- people who it hopes will one day become subscribers. The satellite radio provider, which is not profitable, currently has about 1.2 million subscribers.

News Corp., meanwhile, gains viewers to whom it can market news, sports and other programs developed by its Fox Entertainment Group subsidiary, including "The Simpsons." In addition, there will be two pay-per-view channels showing 20th Century Fox movies -- one for first-run flicks and another for classics.

The pay-per-view service will cost about $3 per movie, enough to break even, Neeleman said. Passengers will swipe credit cards through JetBlue's in-seat payment system.

Neeleman said the new entertainment options would be available on all planes by the end of the year. He would not discuss the financial details of the agreements.

On Tuesday, shares of JetBlue climbed $1.95, or 7.4 percent, to $28.44 on the Nasdaq Stock Market, where XM's stock price rose $1.83, or 6.7 percent, to $28.97.

Shares of News Corp. were up 13 cents to $36.89 on the New York Stock Exchange.

www.jetblue.com

I can't believe this thread was started over 12 hours ago and General Lee hasn't responded with "Song's IFE will still be better".

He must be out flying :D

C ya

Jetblue320,

No, not today. I got a great line this month with 17 days off and two of the working days off early in the day (can you say allnighters?)--so I have plenty of time to write on these boards.....(to my wife's dispair)

Well, I think your new radio network is good, and it will enhance your passenger experience. But, I still think Song's IFE is better with more choices----the screen doesn't blank in turns, there are games that people can play with other passengers in the same row, the 40 album Song list that you can customize, pay-per view moview, and the same number of Direct TV (Matsushista) live channels. I think that is superior, but I haven't really seen your XM radio with the 100 stations. It would be really expensive to put that Song type system on all of our maihnline aircraft---and your own current fleet is 53 busses I believe? We at Song have 36 757s with 10-15 more this year supposedly. I am sure it is expensive for all of us to install those and then offer them for free. (unless you are Frontier--which probably has to pay you guys at Jetblue....) Take care.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

PS--hey, we do go to all three NYC airports !!! (I had to throw that in there, right?)

General Lee said:
Jetblue320,

No, not today. I got a great line this month with 17 days off and two of the working days off early in the day (can you say allnighters?)--so I have plenty of time to write on these boards.....(to my wife's dispair)

Well, I think your new radio network is good, and it will enhance your passenger experience. But, I still think Song's IFE is better with more choices----the screen doesn't blank in turns, there are games that people can play with other passengers in the same row, the 40 album Song list that you can customize, pay-per view moview, and the same number of Direct TV (Matsushista) live channels. I think that is superior, but I haven't really seen your XM radio with the 100 stations. It would be really expensive to put that Song type system on all of our maihnline aircraft---and your own current fleet is 53 busses I believe? We at Song have 36 757s with 10-15 more this year supposedly. I am sure it is expensive for all of us to install those and then offer them for free. (unless you are Frontier--which probably has to pay you guys at Jetblue....) Take care.

PS--hey, we do go to all three NYC airports !!! (I had to throw that in there, right?)

Yea, that is a cool sched for sure. Yes, 53 Buses currently. Did you read the part of the press release about the PPV Movies? That's pretty cool too. As far as the screens blanking during turns it does still happen but I think they have done something to stabilize the antenna internally to make it not happen so much.

The online games that Song has is a biggie for sure, especially with the kids (big and small alike). I just bought my boys an Xbox for Christmas and I (we) love it. Sure beats Pong! (no, not a typo for Song, I meant the old video tennis game)

Anyway, see ya around and thnaks for not letting me down with the reply.

P.S. I knew you would throw in the 3 airport barb....I would've bet my below industry standard paycheck on it!!

See ya Pal.

Jetblue320,

I have heard that Xbox was fun, I bought my wife a Nitendo last year (for her to play when I was on Flightinfo 24/7)--but I have heard the Xbox was better.

I still think it is amazing that you guys are going to have these features on your EMB-190s too----that will be expensive. If we were going to do that with our whole mainline fleet, we pilots would have to take a 60% paycut I am sure. It does sound like a good system for you guys overall---a little TV, a lot of radio, and some pay per view. I don't know if the "game" part of ours will take passengers (big and small) from you guys, but I think our super tasty "Rock and Roll Veggie Sushi" just might!!? Yikes. Take care.

And yes---we love serving all 3 NYC airports---even though LGA can be a real pain and the taxi and EWR seems like the Bhutan Death march at some points.....

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: ;)

You got me, I can't really spell and wasn't really a part of that march anyways......You got me..

PS--I forgot, Bhutan is actually a country near Nepal, and the capital is Paro. The national airline flies BAE-146's into the local airport through a series of steep valleys. They will be getting an A319 soon to replace it.

Last edited:
General,

I'm guessing you haven't actually flown song if you don't realize that the reception loss during banks is about the same between song and jb. I actually felt it was worse with song but lets just say they work on similar technology.

Now if you could actually put some fish in that sushi it would be worth the $$

General Lee said:
Jetblue320,

But, I still think Song's IFE is better with more choices----the screen doesn't blank in turns,

That is not as much of an issue if you find the right airport the first time and don't have to circle to find the correct field to land at...

I just had to throw some humor in here...

:D

Latest resources

Back