Jetblue A-320 to Land at ORD 1030AM CST

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atcloser...

Thanks for the great input. I have been based there for a while now and its very noticable. I am going to BOS next month but still go through JFK quite a bit. I know its busy there as well but hopefully things will get better at JFK

I gotta jump in here. I worked that JBU flight out of JFK while working JFK depature control today. I noticed ORD on the flight strip, and figured it was the inagural flight, but didnt say anthing because of other priorities at the time. Congrats to JBU.

Anyway, I'm a controller at NY TRACON in the JFK sector, and I must say, that our volume is going up and and up and up. First it was JBU A320's, then lots of RJ's, then E190's from JBU, then a host of new Intl carriers, then the rise and fall of Song, now the Dash 8s. I heard that we were holding at CAMRN and LENDY (for those of you who know the airspace) at 8am the last few mornings due to volume. I have been working in the sector for 7+ years and have NEVER seen us holding at 8am, unless we were on ILS 13L or the weather was really really crappy. We held those days for VOLUME, on a clear and a million day nonetheless. For those of you who fly into JFK a lot, you might expect holding around 3pm or 6-8pm, but never on a day shift! I can also remember working midnight shifts and early day shifts (530-130p), and working all the redeye's over LENDY between 4-7am, then it was dead until noon when the ROBER traffic showed up. These days, at 7am, we are pumping traffic. Throw in a wrench such a any kind of wind or bad weather, or JFK tower telling us to stay off the overflow runway (22R, 4L, and 31L), and we are at capacity quick.

Just some thoughts from a controller as to the delays I think JFK is going to start to see in the near future due to sheer volume. Remember people, you throw a few heavys into the mix at JFK, and the finals start getting real stretched out...

You guys do a really good job. Airlines with primary hubs in the NE will have to deal with this saturation problem from now on. Many newcomers will have to look out West for space to grow. JB may look to STL for that reason. I still think COS could be used too by someone.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Looks like you have been sending back planes and mirroring a lot we have been going through during BK. I hope you guys don't get to where we were, which could happen. Your own management is under scrutiny by investors and analysts too. We are getting better though, and are starting to post some modest profits, which will hopefully grow. Also, we have announced more INTL destinations and larger planes (777LRs), so things seem to be getting better. Thanks for your concern. Still, it sounds like a coverup that you do not want to get out. Let's hope JB shows the world the test results, including the transcons with a day sleep and allnighter later that day. Can't wait.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

I would be interested to know Whitehurst (?) plan with regards to a 50% split between domestic and international revenue. What happened to international revenue after 9-11? Does he feel comfortable leveraging half the company's revenue in this geopolitical climate? Just curious...

Canyonblue,
Can you believe we're going to ORD? I love Orlando, I can't wait to go see Mickey!

ATCLoser

Thanks for your information. I would imagine after reading this forum and seeing the garbage on display by "professional pilots" day in and day out here that your impression of pilots is not favorable.

Last edited:
Just a little info for the folks who seem content debating without any info at all. From what I hear, the transcon turns were an idea for day flying only, yep, thats right, sun up flying only, not night turns. I know, I know, sets a bad precedent, begins the slippery slope downwards in the perpetual race to the bottom, what if there was an emergency, and so on........If you do six legs of flying, or even five for about eight hours of flying during a fourteen hour duty day, is that more or less tiring than 2 legs for 10.5 hours of flying in 12.5 hours of duty? One is perfectly legal, and carriers do this all of the time, and nobody grows a sac and does something about it. The other is an experiment only, under supplemental rules (that means legal children), and all hell breaks loose on these boards. Where were all of you before?????

General,

I would be interested to know Whitehurst (?) plan with regards to a 50% split between domestic and international revenue. What happened to international revenue after 9-11? Does he feel comfortable leveraging half the company's revenue in this geopolitical climate? Just curious...

I don't think it will go 50/50. We are finding that INTL cities don't have Airtran and Jetblue, which means we can set the price. With a booming economy and a more global economy, the need to travel grows. Our new Nonstop from JFK to Mumbai will be huge, since we will be the first to start it, and when Air India starts their service nonstop early next year---our service will make it the superior choice to business travelers who don't care about price. (kinda like our JFK-Moscow service, up against Aeroflot) We are finding new city pairs like that all the time, and we have had a large number of un tapped widebodies we were using to add too many seats to MCO and TPA from ATL. Those planes will now go INTL. Could a global war or terrorist attack affect our INTL position? Sure. It would hurt a lot of airlines. Luckily we are expanding outward to different areas, not just one area. We just announced new nonstop service from ATL to Seoul, and ATL to Dubai. Different directions. We also start ATL-Dakar-Johannesburg in December, along with JFK to Accra. We hope to get ATL-Beijing before the 2008 olympics. The cargo on some of those routes pays for the gas and more.

As far as domestic flying, we should be ording about 25 120 seaters soon, and possibly some 100 seaters for mainline. The MD88s/Md90s won't be leaving until 2011 at the earliest, and the 757s will slowly leave and may be all gone within 10 years. We are getting more 738s too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just a little info for the folks who seem content debating without any info at all. From what I hear, the transcon turns were an idea for day flying only, yep, thats right, sun up flying only, not night turns. I know, I know, sets a bad precedent, begins the slippery slope downwards in the perpetual race to the bottom, what if there was an emergency, and so on........If you do six legs of flying, or even five for about eight hours of flying during a fourteen hour duty day, is that more or less tiring than 2 legs for 10.5 hours of flying in 12.5 hours of duty? One is perfectly legal, and carriers do this all of the time, and nobody grows a sac and does something about it. The other is an experiment only, under supplemental rules (that means legal children), and all hell breaks loose on these boards. Where were all of you before?????

Doesn't it get dark in NY at about 430-5pm in the Winter?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Thanks for your information. I would imagine after reading this forum and seeing the garbage on display by "professional pilots" day in and day out here that your impression of pilots is not favorable.

Thank gawd all ATC controllers are extremely professional, all of the time.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back