• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue Emergency Landy - KLGB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm going to disagree with you a little. Adding the rubber jungle unnecessarily, added an obstacle and served as a distraction to the actual evac. If they were really on fire in the cabin that could've cost precious seconds.

They only had a few minutes to prepare for an evacuation. I don't know why they thought it was necessary to spend a good bit of that limited time messing around with masks. It didn't help and could easily have hurt. Didn't they have better things to do?

They don't understand that the o2 mask do nothing to save you from the smoke.
F/A's don't have the same system knowledge. 13 minutes from take off to touchdown, not a bunch of time to prep if you assume fire with all that smoke and you're worried about loss of life. Wait for the facts. I say great job folks.

13 minutes from take off to touchdown, not a bunch of time to prep if you assume fire with all that smoke and you're worried about loss of life. Wait for the facts. I say great job folks.

Exactly my point. They went off-script to do something that couldn't help, could have hurt, and - worse - took much of their limited time away from their primary responsibilities. While they're busy making up their own procedure of releasing 50 PSU's manually with a key in a smoky and rapidly descending cabin, they're *not* preparing for an imminent, unplanned evacuation. Great job? We're so busy patting ourselves on the back that we forget that there's much here that didn't work well.

Big picture, no loss of life or aircraft=good day.
Should things be done differently next time, definitely!

Turn off the engine bleed=No smoke in cabin. It's much easier to think when not in the heat of battle. Don't know if I would have thought of that in an emergency either.

It's part of the checklist. I'm sure they got to it, but you don't jump around all over the checklist to quickly get to the bleed. If a little smoke gets in, oh well.

I'm going to disagree with you a little. Adding the rubber jungle unnecessarily, added an obstacle and served as a distraction to the actual evac. If they were really on fire in the cabin that could've cost precious seconds.

Excellent point!

Latest resources

Back