• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jeppesen not at fault in Comair crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you serious? Checking the NOTAM's is a joint responsibility between the crew and the dispatcher.

Let me know which regional you work for.

I don't think he meant he never looked at the Notams. Most of us are regional pilots that fly back and forth to the same airports on a regular basis. So do I scan thru the notams on every flight? No, if I am bored I might grab the release and scan through it.

If I am flying to a place I haven't been before, or havent been in a long time. Of course most of us are gonna go over the Notams in more detail.

On the other hand, what pilot looks at a 10-9 to see if they are on the proper runway.

But you are right on Notams. They are a joke and they never get read because we dont have the time to decifer all the crap.
-Alex

Famous last words.

NOTAMs are VERY important, as evidenced by this accident.

Another issue that I've noticed is the use of heading sync on the CRJ prior to takeoff. Bug the runway alignment heading, especially on the CRJ with the crappy AHRS system on there.

Many of 9e's former Comair instructors taught that technique which I could not stand.

Peanukle, that technique was never approved at Comair. Pilots were to bug runway heading and not hit the synch as they lined up. I never understood why people did it either, if you do that then what is the point of bugging runway heading in the first place? People do it at my current employer and it annoys me to no end, especially having been at Comair when the accident happened and knowing doing that could have played a role. Not saying they did that for sure because I don't know but it certainly wouldn't have helped.

With respect it might seem like a pain but so is having to scroll down the vertical speed to 500 FPM before take off on the 200s as well. But in the long run if it promotes safety then what's wrong with that?

I don't think he meant he never looked at the Notams. Most of us are regional pilots that fly back and forth to the same airports on a regular basis. So do I scan thru the notams on every flight? No, if I am bored I might grab the release and scan through it.

If I am flying to a place I haven't been before, or havent been in a long time. Of course most of us are gonna go over the Notams in more detail.

This is exactly true. Add to it being at LEX for a CVG based crew, right in their own back yard.
Thing is there were no published notams detailing taxiway closures/name changes/etc. Those were local notams and some/all weren't on ATIS. The biggest failure was the FAA's system, and I don't mean the ATC system. More the way notam info is distributed, especially where it relates to airport construction.

So the "probable cause" is pilot error contributing factor failure to keep a sterile cockpit. What BS. There were so many human factors issues the NTSB could've should've addressed in detail. Could have been a tremendous lesson in threat management for every airman. Instead we get an open and shut investigation. WHAT happened was open and shut. WHY it happened could be a volume of textbooks in human factors studies.

And what we get from it is even more notams--sorted by runway/taxiway/airspace. Words in our FOMs saying runway lights required at night-DUH!

New remark added to all releases: "ATTN Pilots - please ensure you read the release, weather and notams before departing. P.S. - Don't forget to start both engines prior to attempting takeoff." per Jo Blo, system chief pilot. <sarcasm light off>

Latest resources

Back